My is my monitor not working properly?

March 12, 2014

How do I fix a D-SUB message appearing on my screen. When I power my computer, it powers OK, then the monitor will be on for 2 to 3 seconds then off but before going off it displays a “D-SUB” message for that 2 – 3 seconds.

What could be the cause? I have tried connecting it to a different PC but still displays that and goes off. I now use a different monitor because it is my office PC. Please help.

1. Howard B

Could be a bad VGA cable...if it's the type than can be disconnected from the monitor (most Samsung and Samtron monitors, for example), try a different cable.

Oron J is right, It means that your monitor is looking for a video signal on the VGA port (D-Sub) and it isn't finding one

now if you tried the monitor on other pcs it can meanthat there is a hardware problem with your monitor?

Sounds like there's a problem with the monitor or the cable. "D-Sub" simply means "VGA connection" (older style connector, often blue with 15 pins arranged in 3 rows). Most monitors show the name of the input that they are trying to connect to, so it may be that it is trying to connect via the D-Sub and failing, or that it trying various inputs and, when seeing no input, defaulting to the D-Sub.

Other than having a hardware fault, it could be that the PC is set to a higher resolution or refresh rate than the monitor can display. Some monitors will give a specific error in this situation ("frequency out of bounds" or something like that) and others will just sulk... Try restarting your PC in safe mode (switch on the PC and start tapping F8 until you get a text menu) and, if you can get it to work, reduce the screen resolution and try to start normally.