Why does my monitor sometimes not work with my computer due to incompatible resolution?

barelohim October 31, 2011

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 740N. Every time my system boots up, but before OS starts, my monitor shows a floating menu memo that the resolution size is not 1280×1024 and the OS won’t install. However, the resolution of the monitor is this resolution.

I have to unplug the monitor, reboot the PC, and after 10/15 seconds plug the monitor back in, enter Safe Mode, then the OS will install.

I’m running Linux Mint 11 OS. This is a sporadic problem. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

1. Barelohim

Ok. I have linux mint installed on both harddrives. But how does one get the HD marked as slave to boot instead of the master HD??

Bar

I find it extremely difficult to believe that your monitor is effecting the install of the operating system. Perhaps it's just a warning message displayed by the operating system indicating that your current resolution is not proper. 

Which operating system are you installing and what part is taking a long time? 

• Barelohim

I have linux Mint installed on my pc. It is when I start my pc and the moniter would show a menu note that the resolution wasn't 1280x1024, but the resolution is that. It takes a long time for the OS to load when this happens. I've cut back on all startup apps, and it still does this.  The last day or two, no menu about the resolution, but it takes a long time for the OS to load and open...???

I installed a larger HD as slave, thinking it may be the harddrive,, but I need to know how to install Linux Mint from my CD onto the new HD, since it doesn't have any OS being new?

thanks Jeff.

Are you installing Windows OS, is your dvd legal or you burned the image yourself, possible that is hardware dependant so as such displaying the message. Normally windows installation is not linked to monitor resolution and its adjust itself after installation.

4. Barelohim

Now the resolution memo doesn't come up on startup but it is taking longer to instal the OS. Is this a hard drive problem? Run diagnostic and program says the disk is healthy/good!

?????

Bar.