Why does my monitor turn off after watching YouTube videos?

susendeep dutta May 20, 2011

I have 19″ AOC monitor (1440*960 max. resolution supported), 250GB HDD, 1GB RAM, Intel Pentium D Dual Core GHz, 96MB onboard graphics memory. I have no graphics card. OS is Windows XP SP3.

Whenever I watch 240p and 480p YouTube videos one after another, my monitor would turn off.

Someday my PC shutdown automatically when I was watching YouTube videos. My CPU usage was not beyond 75%. The temperature of the components were:
CPU – 68°C
AUX – 74°C
HDD – 56°C

I was using Firefox 4 and the total RAM usage was 770MB. Such things even happens even when I play lightweight games like Tinker. Two months ago, I had replaced the heat paste of CPU by white coloured heat paste as I had never replaced the paste for 4 years.

Is it graphics related or heat related problem or both?

1. Sudhakar Narra

I think your comp will be okay. Desktop comps usually aren't hurt by it.
    Laptops get kinda tricky because the fan may overheat and go crazy. But
    you should be alright.

Susendeep,

did you find the culprit or are you still struggling with this issue. Please let us know!

• Susendeep Dutta

I have tried the power managment solution given by you and had set it to never in all the fields but my monitor still turns off.Hence still struggling with this issue.

You probably have a automatic temperature shutoff set in the BIOS to protect components. Since you said you replaced the thermal compound yourself, it's quite likely you made a small mistake somewhere - I've done it myself a number of times. Perhaps it's worth taking it off again, giving a thorough clean down with some rubbing alcohol, and using silver artic instead of cheap white stuff. Also, be sure you use only a very small amount - like a paper thing layer. Use a bit of plastic to rub it around and get good coverage. The first time I ever did that I used so much compound thinking it would give better contact! ... it doesnt. You really only need a little, and be sure to fix the fan down correctly - sometimes a single corner will be higher than the rest. 

Your machine is certainly aging and more ram etc will help, but this is an overheating issue I think. 

• Susendeep dutta

Yes James,I agree with you.I need to call the technician to  put artic silver on my processor.

Also, I would suggest getting more RAM, installing a graphics card because the onboard one you have does not have a lot of memory on it.  Your CPU is running hot so I would advice to check the air flow in your computer.

• Susendeep Dutta

Usually my cabinet is situated below and is covered by three sides.The front side being open.Each side maintains  a gap of  2.5 inches from the cabinet.I have tried operating my PC by locating my cabinet in open air but no change or improvement in temperature and airflow.

Susendeep,

are you saying that you have one side of your computer case (cabinet) open all the time? Do not do that!

Air flow and cooling is optimal if your case is fully closed! Just make sure you remove all dust from inside the case, including the fans, and also place cables and your case so that none of the vents are blocked from the inside or outside.

• Susendeep Dutta

I mean to say that my cabinet is fully closed but the closed cabinet is surrounded by three sides by a wooden frame.I have already made sure that no cables create any blockage for airflow.

Susendeep,

did you check your Windows XP power management? It sounds like your monitor is simply going idle after a set amount of time. For the same reason, your CPU might turn off.

Right-click your desktop, click Properties, and then go to the screensaver tab and look for the power management settings. Select to never turn off monitor and see whether it still happens.