Why does my monitor shut off when playing games and watching fullscreen videos?

FrozenSkull_ October 10, 2012

Hello,

I have had this problem for around a month now. When I turn on any fullscreen game or watch some YouTube videos in fullscreen and browse certain sites, my monitor shuts off with the message “no signal” but the audio continues to work.

I checked my fans and they are working but i dont know if its a overheat problem, because when i go to Twitch my CPU usage goes to like 50-60.

My processor is Intel Pentium Dual 2.2 GHz and my video card is nVidia Geforce 9500 GT. If there are any suggestion on how to fix it, please answer.

Thanks and best regards!

1. satyam

my computer gets turn off while playing full screen games

2. FrozenSkull

Well guys, after all the comments for checking the fans, yesterday i opened the case and one of the fans was spinning but the fan below the video card wasnt because there was a wire stuck in there, so after removing that wire, my computer started running like normal!
    Thanks very much for the help!

3. Sachin Sharma`

It is generaly a cause of Graphics Resolution not supported by graphics card.Updating graphics card drivers should help.

4. Dany Bouffard

If it works and after a couple of minutes it shut down it might be your video card that is overheating. If the videocard has a fan, make sure i works correctly. After a while video card fan can become dirty and make the fan stop or slow down and make the video card overheat.

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

check your drivers for the VGA, and check the VGA is able to support the resolution that you are playing the video at. most probably you are using the max resolution your monitor can support. but that resolution may become a pretty demanding task for an older VGA. say you have a monitor with 1080p and u are using an old VGA to power it. it's possible that, ur VGA cannot support 1080p and as a precaution, it shuts down to protect the internal hardware. if you can provide the VGA model, and the display resolution then I would be able to give you the specific reason.

6. Grr

As Bruce suggested, check the Power Settings. Refer link below
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-manage-power-settings/

In case of no activity - mouse movement, etc - the monitor may be getting turned off.

Try updating your graphics driver to latest one -

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

and apply a good quality heat paste like

Arctic silver 5 -

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

on your processor so as to reduce the working temperature to a reasonable limit while working on heavy stuffs.

8. Arron Walker

Hm, that's strange. When you say 50-60, I'm assuming you're talking about temperature? I'd say run a virus scan, update your drivers, and check if there are any background programs running. Have a look and make sure everything is connected properly, and take a look inside your case, are your fans installed correctly? Something might have got caught in one, Hope something helps. Oh yeah, is the problem newly developed and the system worked fine previously, or has it only occured after you've installed something new (or if the system itself is new).

• FrozenSkull

Well, this problem happened after my power supply burned and it was changed..I will try the things that you said! Thanks!

I used to have a monitor that did that. It would always flicker on and off, especially when playing games. My suggestion is that your monitor might not be able to display what your graphics card is outputting. Make sure your monitor can display the resolution set by the game and also have the Hertz rate that is compatible.

• FrozenSkull

Well, i cant really set the graphics of the game because when i start it, like 1-2 minutes and it shuts down :/

• Kannon Y

I had the same problem as Jack Cola with my television screen (it wasn't a monitor; it was an older HDTV). As the other posters have suggested in this thread, such as Susendeep Dutta, you'll want to first update your graphics card drivers to the very latest. But in case that doesn't work (I had the same problem lately):

I fixed my problem by attaching my computer to a spare monitor and then changing the in-game resolution to the maximum supported by the HDTV. You should also look up the maximum supported resolution for your monitor - some older and cheaper screens have compatibility issues.

Can I ask what game this is? Most games allow you to change the resolution without actually loading the game up, because this problem is so common.

try this microsoft solution
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/games/en-us

• FrozenSkull

Thanks for it, i will try that :)

Check your current power settings to ensure that your monitior is not configured to be powered down after a period of input inactivity.

• FrozenSkull

Nope, its not that

12. Irshaad Abdool

maybe ur graphics processor is not able to manage. either upgrade ur card or tweak the graphics settings of the card

• FrozenSkull

My card is upgraded to the latest version possible right now but still it isnt fixed..