How to get a monitor to play a full screen video while using another monitor?

Dhrumil Patel August 9, 2012

I used to be able to use one monitor to watch a video and use another one to do work. For some reason it’s not working anymore. I didn’t install any updates to my computer nor did I remove anything either. Anyone know how to fix this?

1. Stay

OK, well I know this is old, but this popped up on google when I was trying to resolve this issue so I figured Id answer so that others could figure it out. . .

Basically...

System>System>Video Output> top option is display mode... screen one or 2.

Problem solved. Another note on this is that you have to have extend display setup in windows...If not it should just duplicate your other monitor.

right click destop>resolution> Multiple Displays>exten displays.

Some key combinations cause changes to video output properties. Maybe you accidently entered one. Go to driver setup and reset to your previous values.

3. Nicco

Same here, I think it started not working after a flash player update sadly.

Hello, is this an incorporated or discreet graphics card? What operating system are you using? If it is a discreet graphics card, meaning a card not incorporated with the motherboard, like say, ATI or NVIDIA, you can access the settings under those programs to extend your monitor.

If you are using windows 7, try the following:

-- right click on desktop
    -- select screen resolution
    -- as long as both monitors are connected you should be able to see both of them there
    -- if you are not sure which one is which, you can click on detect
    -- select the extend option. This is only available when there is more than one monitor.
    -- click on apply and then ok.

5. Irshaad Abdool

Graphics Propoerties >> Dual Screen

but you must have a compatible hardware

6. Erlis Dhima

It's easy, if you are using windows 7...
    After connecting to the other monitor, in desktop > right-click screen resolution...
    Take a look there, and find extend option... (I don't remember it 100% how it reads by memory.. It might be: extend monitor, extend screen...)
    Than, you can move a video to the second monitor (moving it to the far right of the main screen..), and then work, on your main monitor...
    Hope it helps!

7. Burhan Ahmed

If you use a media player like XBMC . It has options to select the monitor. That way two persons can use one PC. I do it with my mac Mini

8. Daniel Pettinger

Depends on your setup and applications and what problem you are having (Does the other screen go black? etc.)

Apparently VLC has a feature to black the other screen when in fullscreen mode which can be turned off ( Uncheck 'Black Screens in Fullscreen mode' under VLC->Preferences...->Video)

We may need more information about what you use, setup etc.