Why does my monitor no longer turn on after re-seeding the RAM?

November 9, 2011

I recently had to visually inspect my RAM on my desktop and then reseeded my RAM, but now the monitor does not turn on. I have a video card as well as the motherboard has a video card on-board, and I tried both of them with no success. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this?

edited - just noticed that FIDELIS made the very same suggestions

As a little side note: 
    Usually when a graphics card is installed the on-board graphics card won't work simply because the system defaults to the installed GPU and sometimes even turns off the on-board solution automatically.

What exactly is reseeding ram?

Can you connect the monitor to another computer to diagnose whether it's the monitor or the computer? This may be some freak coincidence.

Hello, Have you doubled check if the VGA cable is connected OK in your monitor and also in your computer tower?  Have you checked if the Power Supply is connected ok in outlet?  the very basic troubleshooting step you can take to check if your monitor is working ok, is to connect it to another computer.  If the monitor works in that other computer, the problem is with your video card....If the monitor doesn't work on the other, there is something wrong with the monitor.  The next step, would be to find another VGA? cable and try to see if changing the cable solves the problem.

Also make sure to double check your RAM is sitting right.  Did you hear the clips clicking when setting the RAM?  You could also check that your video card is sitting right.  As a note, I would say that if you have a discreet graphics in your motherboard, it does not make sense to keep the integrated card on.   I would disable it.  Try these steps and let us know what is happening.