Why does my monitor go gray when I start my PC?

Michael Piering October 19, 2012

I have a desktop which is connected to small monitor (main screen) and a television. It has been working perfectly for over a year. Then today when I went to start up the computer the main display is a grey screen. On the television, you get the initial Microsoft windows logo then nothing. The cursor moves on the TV but nothing on the smaller, main monitor. I have no clue what to do without paying someone to figure it out.

I checked all the cables, even unplugged the small monitor to see if the TV would work. But, I got only the grey screen on the television.

Remove video card and reseat it in it's connector. What happens when only monitor is plugged in?

2. Dimal Chandrasiri

check you GPU for faults! probably it's the culprit!

perhaps it is graphic card problem, try to boot on the onboard graphic card. if problems solves then you have to update your graphic card problem.

also if the problem is recent try to use windows restore point to revert back to earlier state where no problem was there.

4. Yiz Borol

Sounds like a hardware problem, it could be your graphics card can't really handle two screens and it's burnt out.

• Yiz Borol

(no edit button?)

I would recommend trying to turn on the computer with the case open and observing what happens; which fans turn on, lights blink, etc. then report back.