Why is my monitor displaying an “Attention! No Signal” message?

Srinivas N September 19, 2012

When I power on my computer the monitor indicator which should be green while in operation switches from green to amber, showing the “Attention! No signal” message. I have ensured that the display cable and power cables are tight enough. Also I checked the cable with another computer and the cable is working fine…

Can anyone shed some light on what exactly in the computer is causing the problem? I have gone through some links but would like some more insight into the problem. Thank you in advance!

1. Srinivas N

I have reseated RAM and Graphics Card and that solved the Problem :-). Than Q all of you guys for your attention

2. Ryan Rique

It can be one or a combination of things:

1. Check if your monitor works on another machine.
    - If it doesn't , that could be the problem,.

2. Check if your graphics card works on another machine
    - If it doesn't , the graphics card may be the problem. Also re-seat the graphics card in the slot and see if this helps. If you have an integrated card then ensure the cables are connected properly.

3. Reset your power supply(toggle the switch with I/O on it a few times with the computer OFF) and boot your machine.

If none of these suggestions help, Get a technician to take a look at it.

3. Ben Trotter

If you have a LCD, make sure your monitor is either set to Auto Detect connections or input channel is on the correct channel (DVI, VGA, HDMI).

Also the easiest thing is to disconnect the power cable from the monitor.

Another thing is to check your connection prongs. If any are torn out or bent, replace the cable.

4. Ram Lalit

Either your cpu not connected to the monitor or
    your RAM is corrupted.

5. Ravi Joshi

Are you trying to use your monitor first time or having tried before, too?
    If you are trying to do it first time, I suggest to check the cables, as others say.
    If monitor worked before sometime, and not working now, It can be problem of your c.P.U., I've faced that problem. So, I suggest to take your CPU to a qualified computer repairer.
    Otherwise, you can try this -- open your CPU cabinet and take RAM and rub eraser on RAM's golden part. If RAM is not clear, It will be clear.
    or, you can remove a RAM and try to start your PC on one RAM. (If you've 2 RAMs.)
    If these don't work, I suggest to take your CPU to a qualified computer repairer.

6. Angel Vinod

Perhaps your VGA is dead or your cable is faulty, check if using another PC on the same monitor removes the issue, or new monitor on same pc.

7. Yogeshwar Shukla

check for ur vga cable is working or not with replacing with a new cable.
    if problem is not resolved then it must be the problem of onboard graphic card
    get repaired ur motherboard

remove the graphic card and use the internal graphic card, see if this help.
    check if your keyboard a,d mouse are connected properly
    disconnect other hard drives except the windows hard drive.

"...checked the cable with another computer..." You checked the cable only and not the monitor? You have 3 possible culprits: the cable, the monitor, and the video output of the computer. If the cable is known good, it is either the monitor or you have no video out from the machine. Swap the monitor with another computer to see if it works there. If it does, you have a video output problem, so are you connected to the right video output on the machine (if it has more than one)? Is your BIOS configured to use the proper video output? If the monitor does not work on another system, the monitor is the problem.

10. Harish Jonnalagadda

Mostly has to do with where the monitor is connected to. Ensure that the cable is attached to the correct connector. Also the cable sometimes is at fault. So do check by connecting another cable.

11. Saikat Basu

It is probably a graphics card problem. Check the monitor itself with another computer. if the monitor and the cables are fine, then it leaves the Graphic Card as the only culprit. Reseat the card by clamping it down firmly if you know your way around a computer. Preferably call customer service.