Why does my monitor go dark when I play a game?
Question by Art wassenaar /

While playing a game, my monitor turns dark. It happens after about 20 minutes of game play.

New hardware: monitor, GPU, CPU, power supply, motherboard, and updated drivers. System is Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 motherboard, AMD T1090, XFX 6870 black edition graphics card, x4-750w power supply, AOC v1 27″ monitor, with DDR3 Kingston hyper x 1600 memory 8GB RAM.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Ezan

that problem happened to me too the monitor of my computer turns off when i play aion and saying that my video card stopped working

• Syed Muhammad Hasan

• Lookat

The computer I use can play TheSims2 on a CRT using an older Video Adapter, one that does not support Pixel Shader 2.0 or higher. But G.H.O.S.T. Chronicles after being played several minutes well into 2 hours sometimes causes my CRT to go dark. I have to reboot my system to get the resolution and brightness back. I think they said there was a bug in this game. A video game should not in my own personal opinion cause the monitor to go dark unless of course the monitor is getting old and just need to buy a new LCD or LED monitor that can handle the intense graphics of newer games like the above mentioned and also TheSims3 requires a new graphics card one that supports Pixel Shader 2.0 or greater and Norton keeps giving me which programs use the most resources that is at or above 100 percent. RAM is probably an issue in my case.

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer and this question is rather old, so it’s unlikely that someone will see your comment and reply with a solution. However, if you ask a new question via the respective button in the top left on MakeUseOf Answers, many people will see your question and may be able to help you!

• Kayashira

also i have the same problem ><! whenever i play Dota, or any RPG games, when i start to click it, it begins to go black. i did the power settings, still it didn't work,. i tried the CCleaner , it did worked but it didn't last long.. . sickness still occurs.. T_T 
    does reformat is the only way?
    my computer is Windows XP

does your monitor still go dark or were you able to fix the problem. Please let us know, thank you!

Did you check your power settings?
    Control Panel -> Power Options

Hello, if it is not a problem with you power saving settings it could be that you have the wrong refresh settings set on your monitor. Try playing with your refresh settings and if possible set it to native resolution.

It could also be that you are trying to play your game with a resolution your monitor does not support. Remember that in your computer when talking about video cards there are two kind of resolutions, the one your graphics card support and the one your monitor supports. A possible solution for this would be to try and change the resolution settings to standard resolution your monitor supports. If you are not sure about what your monitor/gpu supports, just find the product manual and it should give you all the information you need. Hope it helps

what game are you playing? How are you playing it, i.e. do you use the mouse, keyboard, a joystick, or something else?

What is your operating system? Based on your hardware specs, I assume it’s Windows 7 64-bit.

What do you have to do to bring the monitor back on? Do you hit a key on your keyboard, move the mouse, or do you have to hard reset / reboot the computer? In other words, does the monitor just turn off or does your computer freeze completely?

My initial thought was that your monitor goes into idle mode and turns off to save energy. You might want to go through the power plan settings in Windows 7 or through the respective settings for your monitor.

In Windows 7, go to Start and type > Power Options. Go to > Edit Plan Settings and check what > ‘Turn display off’ says. If it says 20 minutes you probably found your culprit. Set it to > Never.

How-To Geek has a walkthrough with screenshots.