Why does any monitor I connect to my computer show distorted graphics?

James October 3, 2010

My monitor suddenly out of nowhere started having weird greenish white pixels that move, the screen shook, and then would turn blue and say invalid signal. It was fine just an hour or so before I left for an hour. What could cause this and how do I fix it?

I have done a little trial and error work and research. It does it in Windows and Xubuntu. It’s not the resolution. YES I have tried other monitors. In forums I have read it was like every other person say try another monitor. I switched to onboard graphics and the problem was there. I have suspicion it’s my graphics card.

I have an HP a6110n with a nVidea 9800GT on a Vizio Razor in a native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Yes my monitor doubles as a TV and is technically a TV first, but this has not been a problem in 9 months I have had it.

I have yet to try it but I am going to swap graphics cards with another computer to see if it does it to that one and if it doesn’t on mine.

1. James

I checked the cable. It was fine. Later i had an idea about the port in my monitor. I have two hdmi ports so I switched to the other and now it works like it did. Apparently my other port went out on me. Great... Anyways thanks for the help

2. HuntingKnowledge

had the Second monitor running fine on my Ubuntu box but audio doesn't turn up.

Vista box perfectly displays the second monitor + audio :)

i suggest u to enable nVidea Third party community developer drivers
    to definitely resolve ur problem and work !

Enabling my ATI graphics drivers worked out for me :)

3. M.S. Smith

Could also be a connection issue. A damaged wire or adapter can cause strange graphical anomalies and can most certainly cause you to lose the picture entirely. Try hook the monitor up with a different cable and see if that helps.