How can I make money with a great idea for a mobile app?
Question by Phantom /

I have a great idea for a mobile app, what’s the best way to make money from this? Is it to develop the app yourself or sell the idea? I can use a computer and can do some basic HTML coding but that’s about it! Are there any good WYSIWYG sites for app development?

• Le Aroma

i want to develop a website for apps and other services, i just wanna keep all the apps of android, nokia, Iphone, how will i generate the money 

• Simen

You glupe try Corona, which only require one code for both iOS and Android, or if you want to make a game, try GameSalad. (Both are just a Google search away)

• Simen

*You could try…

(iPad dictionary and Norwegian keyboard layout isn’t a good combination)

Phantom – I agree with James in that the real value comes from the development (a poor developer can turn a great idea into a crappy app). You might also consider hiring an Android developer for the app, as developing and selling your app on the Android Marketplace is pretty easy – and it’s open to anyone with programming skill. You could stand to make some decent money with a really good idea, but you’ll have to put up seed money for the development.

You could pay someone to develop it for you, through somewhere like odesk.com (I discuss some pointers to using the server here: outsourcing content )

To be brutally honest though, the idea behind an app is worth virtually nothing. It’s the development which takes all the effort, and the ideas are a dime a dozen. 

If you truly think its an incredible idea, then put up some money and have it made for you. You’ll need an iOS developer account too to publish the final code on the store ($99/year), and the cost of development is likely to be $1000, depending on how difficult your idea is. 

• Craig

I have an idea for an app which I believe would be of financial benefit to another very profitable company, do I approach them, and how safe would that be?

Even if you had a good idea, what do you expect the company to say? “Oh, sure, great idea, here’s $5000 to go develop it, let us know when you’re done”. Or more likely they would just send the idea to their IT department and you’ll never hear of it again.

It’s not that it isn’t safe, as such; just that, you can’t copyright a software idea or any kind of creative venture. You can copyright the output, but the idea alone is worth nothing. Do something with it, then we’ll see.

Sorry to be brutal.

• Craig

I suppose my question is, am I able to develop something around their product without their approval or knowledge?

• muotechguy

That depends upon the product of course, but in general … no. They must defend usage of their trademark and copyrights in order for them to remain valid. If you create an app called “The Facebook Better-Browser”, you would be served a takedown in no time.

• Craig

So what you are saying, if you only have an idea which would work great as an app for a company, you can’t develop it, in my case both because you dont have those skills and also because of copyright, then you may as well throw it away and ponder over it when one day the company eventually creates it.