What’s the best way to modify Windows file properties?

RayInLV December 2, 2011

Windows 7 has 286 file properties, like (#,length,bit rate, protected, camera model, camera maker, video compression, product name and etc).

Some you can enter one by one, file by file in the Windows Explorer.

Is there a better way? It would be nice to see them in a grid format with input similar to Excel.

My reason is that lots of my pictures, music and videos have lost the details over the years and I want to get them back.

1. RayInLV

I have to add more positive information about mp3tag program.   Not only does it let you edit the tags, but you can export to .csv (+other formats) and load to Excel for very nice Reports and work lists.

Another Really nice feature is you can build PlayLists very easily by just selecting the files from the grid and clicking the build icon.

And it works on many formats, I have .m4a, .wma, and of course .mp3.  I am sure it handles more...

Since on my Android Cell I can mount it's drive in windows, it makes it particularly easy to make my playlists without using the somewhat cumbersome android functionality......

Lots more features in there.   

This is what I needed for Music  part of this question.

Still looking for Video Solution.

When I finally get a programming job again I will be contributing a few $$ to this one along with my other all time freeware favorites (Macrium Reflect, PureSync, and of course CCleaner)

3. RayInLV

I have found it easy to View all of them.   In explorer I just right click on the columns Heading row,  select the More at bottom of list after which the whole list displays and you can pick which you want to see.   

Updating them is not as easy. Windows controls what it lets you modify.  

I looked at the foryoursoft, the paid version might work, alas, funds are limited.  If anyone reads this and is a programmer, sample code to let you update those Extended properties would be welcome.  

Took me a year to find samples of how to read it.   That works great.  If I could update, I could finish a utility  that works like an excel grid on the columns you pick with Cut and paste, import etc...

Searching...  Have a great weekend...

Hello, have you tried Bulk Rename Utility? 

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Features.php

there is also a command version available:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Command.php

Also in windows 7 to view all the details of pictures, music, videos, etc, you can set it to show this information.

-- navigate to folder where your files are
    -- click on the down arrow next to change your view icon
    -- select detail

Also there is File Property Edit.  There is a free and paid version:

http://www.foryoursoft.com/fpedit/index.htm