What do these modem errors mean?

Altzan June 17, 2010

Our internet connection has been shaky for some time, with the upstream transmit power level randomly shifting from the 40’s (when it works) to 50’s (when it doesn’t). We have replaced router and modem, and examined our cables, to no avail. We’ve been also getting odd errors in our modem log. Any tips on what they mean and what could be done?

In no particular order:
“T4 No Station Maint Timeout – Reinitialize MAC…”
“Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance o…”
“Ds Lock Failed – Reinitialize MAC…”
“SYNC Timing Synchronization failure – Failed to acquire FEC framing”
“SYNC Timing Synchronization failure – Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing”

The best thing to do is Google those terms. But here's my best attempt at explaining them:

You can't connect to the internet :)

To me, it sounds like there is a problem between your model and the telephone exchange and it's not syncing properly. The best thing to do is contact your ISP and they should help you, or even change your ISP if it's that bad.

I would suggest to upload all your telephones, remove filters and see if that works.
    Also what are you using Dialup, ADSL, Cable, Fibre, Naked etc?

• Altzan

Google actually helped me very little on this issue :P

It's a cable connection to Charter Communications. The problem is off-and-on, only happening maybe 5% of the time but when it hits we can't do anything. We've had some techies over but they always showed up when it was working and couldn't find the problem. Also, Charter's the only cable company that reaches out to the rural area where we're at, and I definitely don't want to downgrade to dial-up.

• Jack Cola

That's good that Google has given you a understanding what's happening.
        Maybe you could contact your ISP and see if they can give you a discount or rebate or something.

On of my old ISP gave us $180 (basically 3 months free) because we've been a customer for a while or thinking of switching. Never hurts to ask.