What is the best mobile plan for a two months stay in South Korea?

Andrew C. Watts March 29, 2011

I’m traveling to South Korea next month. I’m wholly dependent on my iPhone 4 in the States. That being said, I don’t want to pay for roaming while I’m there. Right now my plan is to rent a cheap cell phone for the two months I’m there, limiting my iPhone use to WiFi only. What’s the best deal out there for someone traveling to Korea? Any suggestions?

1. Justin Baugh

Here is what you do if you are going to Seoul, go to either Itaewon or Haebongchon ask any foreigner where to rent a cheap phone with a prepaid card. Trust me, any plans out there are simply not worth it....and don't think you can rely on anything outside of Korea to handle roaming well there, they have a very proprietary cell network. They also don't don't play well with mac, especially on Korean internet sites.
    Hope this helps

Getting a local phone with a prepaid card is an excellent suggestion!

I recommend you to get in touch with locals and ask them for advice or even help. CouchSurfing.org is a good point to start. Join the site, find 'groups' for cities you are traveling to and simply ask on the respective message board. You should get the best possible solutions there and maybe someone can even borrow you a phone.

I think there is not too much choice. Any prepaid or roaming plan from SK Telecom or KTF will do.

Maybe you should check out the SK Roaming Service
    http://www.skroaming.com/en/main.asp