What is the best mobile phone in your opinion?

Tilman October 6, 2011

What’s the best phone in the world today? How will the situation change if I can wait a few months with the purchase? I mean, should I wait for an upcoming model?

Looking forward to hearing your opinion. :)

1. Tilman

Hi all! You can't imagine how often I come back to this thread to re-read all your opinions! :) Well, let me give you an update from my side: I just bought the iPhone 4s for my girlfriend but I am still looking for a phone for myself... I won't buy one for myself until I am 100% sure that it's the right choice for me. After having played a few days with my girlfriend's iPhone, I don't like it because it does not play seamlessly together with Google, so I am pretty sure that I will buy an Android phone for myself... 

Still appreciating your comments! <3 Does anyone have some new thoughts?

2. Urjiskjxhdudjndnduudhdnbhd

I would think it would be the Blackberry 9900 or the LG ENLIGHTEN or the Samsung Flight 2

3. Allison

Tilman, I'll offer you my perspective, which is mixed. I'm a Mac person all the way, except for my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy. And yes, for the Android phones, the Galaxy is the best out there. 

For my computers, Apple has it perfect with simplicity, ease, and ecosystem. It just works. 

But, I want different things from my phone, and the iOS platform doesn't do what I need it to, largely, play perfectly with Google. I use Google everything, and the iPhone doesn't work as seamlessly with Google as I need it to. I can also fully customize my phone, like I can with my Apple computer. I can't with an iPhone. 

I do agree with others that you need to test some phones out. I'd also argue that to get the best of your phone-- whichever you choose-- you should also embrace their ecosystem. Apple's Cloud, iTunes, Calendar, Address book, and so forth. I have moved away from that, even on my home computer, and am using Google's ecosystem pretty exclusively: Calendar (I have 7 different calendars, including family calendars that sync to all family members), Gmail, Docs, Tasks, Sites, Music, Bookmarks, Google +, Reader, Picasa, Blogger, Books, and so on. 

There are two considerations: hardware and OS. I would agree that the Apple hardware (function and design) is superior; but for me, the Android OS works best. 

It really is personal. 

4. Wkastern

Nobody mentioned reception which is, afterall, the main function of a "mobile phone".  Bells & whistles aside, which phone gets the best reception.  I'm tired of dropped calls when I'm on the move.  Is any phone better at pulling in a weak signal?

5. Rsabishek

nokia n8.

6. Rsabishek

1-it always depends on the budget you wanna prefer.
    2-it depend on whether you want a full-touch,touch+qwerty attached,pure qwerty smart phones.
    3-of course the tech savvy out there who belong to the fandom of/prefer either android,symbian,ios,rim,bada(is n't)...if you wanna model which cut across Rs.10K to 13K,try for the variety of android (V 2.2,2.3) models from samsung,LG,sony.the samsung galaxy fit S5670(touch) or xperia mini. dell and acer also releases some models...just try for them too.

then for the models of >15K,the tough selection arises,
    the rivals are,
    nokia E6,E72...
    BB Bold,curve...
    HTC wf,wf-s,cha-cha.
    xperia mini pro.

this depends on you...consider- the digi cam resolution,UI,processor speed,in-built and extendable memory,non-plastic feel keypad(for qwerty prefers'),smooth touch...

for the smartest phone...ofcourse the samsung galaxy SII,the apple iphone 3GS(4 apple n steve fans specially).inspite the camera resolution of iphone is 5mp,the video display quality is geth.
    hope you send diwali wishes from your smart select phone to your well wishers.
    happy purchase n' safe diwali.

rsabishek@gmail:disqus .com.

7. Chris_beattie27

OK well there is a multitude of phones getting ready to launch guys. The iPhone4s has just popped out, but tbh it seems rather wimpy within the adversaries stacked across from it.
    HTC is bringing out a new sensation that smokes anything on the market with a dual core 1.5 Ghz cpu + nearly 1Gb of ram (it smokes (or should) an iPad2 never mind a phone), Samsung has its Galaxy s2 which atm is THE phone to have... the list can go on for ever, it comes down to your personal choice. You wanna look flashy and have some fruit labled on the back of your phone to make ya look green? Get an iPhone, you need the power to compute shitloadsa crap on the run? Get an HTC or samsung.
    TBH the Operating systems on these phones all work fantastically and they do what they are supposed to. If you got a Mac as your usual puter get an iPhone if not id say stick to android because ya need less "emulatory" items installed to run your phone/pc. Not all apple products/files are readily accepted by windows/linux nor vice versa. Actually linux should more readsily accept apple files than windows ofc but this is not always the case.
    So it brings us to ya wanna be: flashy/practical/up to date or go with your gut.
    Thats how you should choose ur phone dont dare to not be yourself and try out these things. Try em all if ya got the cash the chance or the inclination. Then you will truely know which was best for you.

8. Tilman

Hi all, thanks for your answers! I find this thread very fruitful, actually! :) So please keep on posting your opinions!!!

My comments so far:

- I am actually planning to buy two phones at the same time, one for me and one for my girlfriend. Personally, I would never even touch any Apple products but my girlfriend wants an iPhone, so... So if I will be convinced that the iPhone is NOT WORSE than any other model (such as Samsung Galaxy or whichever else), then I would certainly be willing to buy it for her and choose another one for myself. Therefore, please do keep posting your opinions (ideally flavored with some facts) also about the iPhone.

- About waiting or not waiting, of course I am not going to postpone the purchase forever, ONLY if I KNOW that a phone I want will be available in the near future and if it makes sense to wait. Furthermore, keep in mind that in two months it is already Christmas... ;) That has two advantages: First, it is a strategically good time to buy presents for girlfriends. Second, I might get some "financing" from parents for my own phone at that time :D

- Samsung Galaxy... Yeah, I have heard that before. Do most of you agree that it is currently the best Android phone out there?

- What about HTC Sensation? I was kind of expecting people to mention that first and I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it so far! Is the Galaxy better than the Sensation?

- And what about the Nokia N9? I heard that its operating system Meego is the best around. If it will be discontinued in, say, two years, would that be a reason not to buy it now? And does that reason apply to both me and my girlfriend? I would consider myself a more technical user (but I am not a programmer), whereas she would care more about usability than about upgrading the newest Skype version, for instance...

- Finally, what about the upcoming Nokia phones with a Windows operating system? What's your opinion on them?

- Oh and about my needs: Seriously, the two most important features of a phone are in my opinion its ability to read and write emails (I use Gmail and I want to have a good qwerty keyboard) and its ability to sync automatically with Google Calendar.

I think that's all from me now! Thank you so far for all your comments! Hoping to read more when I come again online tonight =)

Cheers,

Tilman

Hey Tilman,

Here are my thoughts on this. I am an iPhone user but tried HTC Desired HD as well (for a few days). 

I am not really an Apple fan (Windows been my primary systems for years though I have used both Linux and OSX in the past) but love my iPhone. Definitely the best phone I have ever used. I don't think I can use any other phone now. Infact, iPhone is not just a phone for me, it's an entertainment center. 

When compared to HTC's Andorid phone I find iPhone more user friendly. The touch seems better as well. The camera on iPhone not as good though. 

When it comes to email or chat I think iPhone lacks behind a bit. The screen size needs to be larger to ensure efficient and productive conversation on IM for instance.

Aibek

This is going to get you nowhere. I suggest you ask your friends if you can play with their phone, and head into an apple store/phone shop to play with any you cant. Everybody's needs and ethics values are completely different, so asking for an opinion on the best phone is utterly fruitless. 

It depends what do you need from your phone...music,watching movies,texting, browsing, managing documents, socialnetworking, long calls,

may be the phone which everybody talking about does not suite you.
    people are talking about abdriod and iphone...symbian is outdated...but there are some basic and user friendly features that only entry level java based phones used to provide, and that too with high quality camera,browsing etc.
    so it depends on you!

11. riyaz muhammed

Samsung Galaxy S II..No others will stand against it

12. Susendeep Dutta

The choice of a phone is dependent upon people's need and taste.Currently,iphone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S II are the best phones in the world.They both have the ability to satisfy people's need and is evident from many surveys.

If you can wait for a little,then you can get a phone with higher number of features than older ones.While waiting is not a solution to get the best of phone today due to fast pace of technological developments,its better to wait for a little time.

In around few months,iphone 4S,Samsung Galaxy S III will be available to all.

13. Ryan Dube

Tilman - the Motorola Droid is the phone of the day. I bought my first one when the first model came out, and have used it ever since. I have friends that have the newer Droid and absolutely love it. iPhone users are very religious about iPhones, and so it's walking into a hornets nest when you dare suggest anything is better - but, honestly, it is. The Droid has more features, better sensors, is more robust and if you like to tweak, program, upgrade, hack...it's a dream come true. I suggest it to anyone that asks, and I'll suggest it to you. Or - you can go with the iPhone like all of the other Lemmings and grow old in the false belief that you have the best mobile phone in the world, when you don't. :-)

Mulder, the iPhone is a model and "Android" is a mobile operating system.

The best smartphone in my opinion is the HTC Evo 3D or the Samsung Galaxy, which both run the Android OS. I've never been a fan of apple, it's not unwarranted either. Too expensive, too fragile and circular software support - doesn't impress me. Android is flexible, has an open API, it's sleek and it's flexible. I've never had a problem with Android. I'll leave Apple products to the users who don't care how it works, just that it works

One thing is for sure though, you shouldn't wait around. Technology is always advancing, waiting will only place you further behind. Once you buy a phone, it's outdated in six months anyway. That's not to say you need to be buying a new phone every few months, though.

• Mulder

I know exactly what the iPhone is, as well as Android. The point you missed is that there are numerous models running Android, and they are all different, and with different features. You have to buy what you want, based on what you're intending to do with it.

As for your reflexive dismissal of Apple products, it merely demonstrates your lack of knowledge on the subject. Their products are not too expensive, too fragile, nor do they have circular software support. Saying that Apple users don't care how something works, just that it works is both insulting, and illustrates how little you know.

• Jeff

Cool story, bro'. Stay on topic.

15. Mulder

The best mobile phone is without question, the iPhone. Others will tell you it's one of the Android models out there. But really, it all depends on what you think, not what others think. If you're one of those people who hates Apple but has no reason to justify that hate, then you're likely to buy an Android phone. If you have the ability to think for yourself and ignore all the idiots who don't know what they're talking about, then you'll buy the phone that best suits you for your intended use.

Waiting for the next model is a losing proposition. There's always a new model in the pipeline when you buy one, so if that stops you from buying one, you'll never make the purchase.

Get what you need and can afford today, and don't worry about what the next model might or might not bring.