What can I do to minimize the pings for Battlefield 3 Online gameplay?

Osama Javaid March 16, 2012

I am planning to buy Battlefield 3 limited edition for online gameplay for PC. I live in Pakistan. When I checked for pings from here to U.S. servers through www.speedtest.net, it was more than 500ms.

Is this value significant for a FPS online gameplay? What can I do to reduce it? Is it due to bandwidth? I have 1MB DSL broadband connection. If I upgrade it to 2MB, will it affect the pings in positive way or the pings are independent of bandwidth?

click RUN. In the open box type CMD and click OK. type in 
    TRACERT 216.94.205.19 
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090625164128AABM2QN

i read here that in order BF3 to work better open your task manager go to process an lower the priority of the following:
    Your internet browser
    Origin.exe
    Plugin-Container.exe
    SonarHost.exe
    http://www.overclocking-pc.fr/forums/showthread.php?t=28353

One general recommendation for online gaming is to connect to servers near your geographical location to reduce latency.
    Thankfully, Battlefield 3 does show a Ping value within the server browser which will help you in choosing one with low latency. You should always look for server with a ping below 150ms.
    For anything higher your experience will be rather unpleasant because the delay will result in visible lags and bad "hit registration".

Bandwidth is a delicate topic for gaming. 
    Looking at the traffic produced even a game like Battlefield 3 should technically be playable with a connection like your 1Mbit. However general experience is "the faster the better" because the actual speed is a bandwidth delay product and there are always other influences too.
    For example on an 16 players server you may have latency of 20ms but as soon as the server hits the 32 or 64 players count not only the bandwidth required will raise but also the latency. 

• Osama

"to connect to servers near your geographical location"...is that possible to manually choose server for a specific location ?

Some servers are named by location - EA EUROPE, for instance - but location doesn't really matter if you just look at the ping indicator column...

The server browser within Battlelog (the system behind BF3) allows you to filter by regions and within Europe by countries.
        http://cl.ly/1a2X1e001t1l462I042F

Also as James mentioned you can filter the server names and most importantly simply look at the ping/latency.

I cant be certain youll be on US servers, as there are servers located around the world. But yes, you will not be able to play with a ping of 500ms - I doubt the server would even let you join due to the adverse effect you would have on everyone else as well. 

The reason it's so bad is a combination of things. DSL - for a start - runs through phone lines, not fiber optics. Fiber is much faster. 1mb is certainly not slow, but as a stated speed by your ISP the actual speed is probably a lot less. What speed does speedtest.net report for even your local (recommended) server?

Pings are not independant of bandwidth, but they can be if the bottleneck is not your bandwidth. For instance, if I tired to ping your PC, even with my 50mb connection, it would be slowed at your end and get a terrible ping. Same if you tried to ping me. If we were both on high speed nets, the ping would more than likley be very good, but its not just your personal connection that affects ping - it's every single step along the way. 

If you can afford it, get a fiber connection. 2mb ADSL and 1mb ADSL are really just as bad as each other.