How do I make Microsoft Word 2003 launch faster?

Mark August 12, 2010

I use Word 2003, but it takes ages for it to launch when I start it up. This makes me very reluctant to use it as I don’t like waiting. Can you recommend some ways I could speed up the launch of Word?

I have searched Google for this relentlessly and I haven’t been able to come up with any decent tips. I hope you guys can do better than Google. :-)

1. Wolfgangwhs

Put your OS on a SSD. My Office programs are instant (from OCZ 60GB SSD).

2. Saikat Basu

When Word starts up it gathers information for printing and formatting tasks. Are any of your fonts damaged? Because I am guessing that its a recent problem. Also, manage your add-ins.

Here's the support article from MS if you haven't already looked at it.

Mark, I wouldn't think Word 2003 is slow, I think it would be your computer. If you upgrade your computer, or format it, and just install Word 2003, you will find it will load up super keep.

Just make sure you have disabled any addons. I also believe there is a process that helps with the speed of opening office? Maybe it's been disabled? Check MSCONFIG.

Anyway, how long is long?

here are some nice tips, http://tenmov.es/2008/12/13/how-to-make-microsoft-word-load-faster/

let us know if they help

5. William Brand

Defragment. Remove extraneous software. The usual "make your computer faster" tips.