Why does Microsoft want me to verify an account with Yahoo Mail?

July 25, 2014

Back in early part of winter I started getting an email from the account-security-noreply@account.microsoft.com wanting me to verify my account.

They wanted me to verify an account for Yahoo email account.

I’ve never had a Yahoo account. I have a Hotmail account, I can not get on my email unless they send me a code to reentry. What does this mean?

Please help.

If you don't have a Yahoo address, then you shouldn't verify the account - pure and simple!

It's difficult to say much beyond this. It could be the result of a mistake (someone with that Yahoo account mistyping their Outlook.com address), a side effect of a a hacking attempt or a scam right from the beginning (i.e. the sender pretended to be noreply@account.microsoft.com). Either way, the Yahoo account should not be "verified" because it's not yours.

I suggest you look at the emails header before proceeding with anything.
    In Outlook you can do so by clicking Action > Other Actions > Source

Make sure that both, the sending server and original sender address are from Microsoft and not some random dial-in hostname.

If you are not to familiar with this just post the headers here and we will take a look if the email is actually real.