Why can’t I see the Microsoft Office icon on Windows 7?

Priyadarshan Patil September 3, 2012

All the other icons on my Windows 7 install related to other software are showing up but the Office icon appears like some system icon? What happened?

1. Miles Dutka

You happen to be in fact an excellent webmaster. The internet web site loading pace is awesome. It kind of feels that you happen to be doing any distinctive trick. Additionally, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a wonderful job within this matter!

2. MerVzter Balacuit

please mark this as resolved .. thanks

3. Priyadarshan Patil

Thanks Everyone for your response
    Finally i resolve the issue by Clean installation of Office as suggested by GrrGrrr.
    Thanks GrrGrrr.

if this not working properly this can be because Windows OS version 64bit

try this
    microsoft office-- microsoft office tools-- microsoft office picture manager-- help-- detect and repair-- check restore my shortcuts while repairing.

• Nick Lang

I had the same problem and the "Detect and Repair" approach recommended by ha14 fixed it for me. Reinstalling was not a good option for me.

5. GrrGrrr

could u try to repair the installation?

• Priyadarshan Patil

i tried it but when i like on change button nothing is happing it is not going through

• GrrGrrr

then go for a clean install. U might have a corrupted registry

also what is ur office version?2010/2007/2003........

• Priyadarshan Patil

Version Office 2010 64 bit
          clean install , so am going to lose all my outlook mails !!!

• GrrGrrr

no, u can backup all those outlook pst file(s) containing emails.
          if u have pst password protected, make sure u write down the passwords.

• Priyadarshan Patil

sure let me try the clean installation ...once done will post and let u know thanks grrgrrr

6. Alan McNamara

Are you trying to put the shortcut for Office onto your desktop?
    I just tried with my version of Office 2010.
    The programs (Excel etc.) are part of Office and stored in a folder. If you create a shortcut from here, it is a shortcut of the Office folder and not the Office .EXE files.
    I think the easiest way to make your shortcuts is to go to the Program Files folder and open the Microsoft Office folder, in Office 2010 version, it is in office14 folder, the right click the file and drag to your desktop and release the mouse where you would like the shortcut placed. (WinWord.exe is MS Word).

• Priyadarshan Patil

Hi Alan,
      shortcuts are working fine ,for word,excel,access ... it is not showing there respective icons

Does the shortcut work when click on the icon? Is it all the office icons, e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. If so rebuild your icon cache, it may be corrupted.

If that dosnt work navigate to C:/Program Files/ Microsoft Office/ Office14 and scroll down to see if the icons are ok. Right click on them one at a time and select 'SendTo' then Desktop (Create Shortcut) and delete the old icons.

• Priyadarshan Patil

Hi Alan,
      Thanks Alan for your response.
      Shorcuts or everything else is working fine ,only the thing is icon seams to b corrupted it is not showing respective icon for word,excel etc
      i tried creating the shortcut for outlook from office 14 folder it showing up the icon now but what about all the other office application i have on my system .

• Alan Wade

In the Office 14 folder you will also find, depending on your version of Office, Winword (Word), Excel, Powerpoint etc.
        Just follow the same as above to create the shortcuts for the apps.

You can then delete all the corrupt shortcuts and drag the new ones to were ever you want the new ones to be.

Got a screenshot of the icons?Have you run a registry cleaner lately? Sometimes they remove the proper reference for the icons so the system will use another default.You can always look at the properties of the shortcut and change the icon from there.

• Priyadarshan Patil

HI Brue,
      Thanks For Response.
      Recently perform registry cleaning using ccleanner and i tried changing the icon from both properties as well as from advance properties still the same result.