Why does Microsoft Office 2010 32-bit stop working every time I run an update on Windows 7 64-bit?
Question by Dawn /

I am working on a Dell Computer with 64-bit and ever time I get Windows updates and install them, my Microsoft Office 2010 will not work. Does anyone else have this issue and what can I do to fix the issue?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software

• At College

32 bit Office 2010 works just fine with a 64 bit Win 7 computer. Many of our users including me have this setup. I have encountered major problems with the 64 bit Office 2010 not interfacing with other programs like Microsoft Communicator-won’t save threads in Outlook using Exchange Server 2010, Adobe Acrobat-can’t email file from within Adobe, EndNote X1-will not display the EndNote tab, Trackit version 7 will not allow clicking Notify Technicial or Email Requestor. All these problems were fixed by using the 32 bit version instead.

thanks for the input

1. Open up Regedit. (Go to Start and type “regedit” in the search field and
    press enter.)

2. In Regedit navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice12.0WordData

3. Right
    mouse click on the “Data” folder and delete it.

4. Open up Word, close
    it,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Hello, have you tried resetting your office installation to default?  To do so, follow the next steps:

— Open office
    — on menu, click on the File option
    — select options
    — select search
    — select the Advanced option
    — click on Restore Defaults.

You could also try running the Repair option.  To run the repair option you have to run the office setup file and choose the Repair option.  It is worth a try if it is an office problem. 

• Jeffery Fabish

Why do you have a 32 bit version of Office on a 64 bit operating system? 

I only install updates if it’s security fix or something that has been thoroughly tested, especially on a Windows box.

Remember, the latest isn’t always the greatest.

The 32 bit version of office 2010 is the default installation even if you are running a 64 bit operating system. 

that is correct…

Anyhow I do recommend to put the Office 2010 into the drive and run the 64bit installer because it does seem like the 32bit version of Office 2010 is not supposed to run on a 64bit Windows. 

I once had a case where the user wasn’t able to synchronize his phone with Outlook simply because of the above. After installing the 64bit Office no problems occurred whatsoever.