Why does Microsoft Media Center create two entries for every program I record on my computer?

gbsheriff February 4, 2011

There are two entries every time I record a program on my computer in Microsoft Media Center. After watching and deleting one of the entries, both are removed from the listing. How can I correct media center to only show one entry for a recording?

Hello, maybe this might help with your duplicate files. Sometimes this happens when you set your recording location to the root folder of a harddrive.

Check your setting to see if you have your tv recording folder in the root drive. If you do, make sure to set your tv recording folder in a sub folder, for example:

-- If your recording folder is set to C:, change it to:
    -- C:tv_recordings
    -- Good thing about trying this is that you do not have to play with settings in the watched folders. Hope it helps

• Gksheriff

Thank you for the suggestion but all recordings are recorded into a RECORDING folder on a 2TB external hard drive. I would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks again.

TRy This
    a. Open an administrator command prompt by hitting the windows key, type cmd, right click on the command prompt item and choose “Run as Administrator”, then run the following commands
    i. cd /d %WINDIR%ehome
    ii. start /wait mcupdate -u -nogc
    b. Restart Windows Media Center and confirm there is one entry point to left of “Recorded TV” in the “TV + Movies” row

• Gksheriff

Thank you for the idea. I did try your suggestion. Seemed like everything ran okay. I rebooted the system and there are still two entries for each recorded program. Thanks again for the suggestion. I would appreciate any other possible solutions.