How can I make my mic remain at a set volume using alsamixer in Ubuntu?

Gregg February 16, 2011

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on an Acer 4810t, which has a problem with the microphone.

According to Ubuntu Help Community I need to completely mute the left channel of the mic using alsamixer, which I have done. However, about every 30 seconds, the left channel returns to its default volume.

As long as that left channel stays muted, the sound recorder does pick up some sound. Any ideas about why it won’t stay as set?

1. Gregg

Here's an update to the problem:

It turns out Google Voice Plugin is resetting the audio settings somehow..so the problem I'm having deals with that. If there was some way to disable this resetting...

2. Gregg Roemhildt

Hello,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I was playing around a little with this.

When I first had tried it, it appeared to be working, but it would randomly reset. I had to turn up the volume to 100% first, mute the left channel, then run the command. This seemed to save the setting for a while, but as soon as I try and use a program which uses the mic, (Gmail chat) it still resets itself.

I think this is interesting actually, I will adjust the alsamixer, and open my gmail without closing the alsamixer and as soon as the gmail chat starts using the mic, the volume resets.

Thanks for your help.

Gregg,

sounds like this volume mixer is really tricky. I have added your question to this week's list of toughest tech questions. Maybe another Ubuntu user found a solution to this challenge. Fingers crossed!

Gregg,

did the command Josh recommended work for you? Please let us know!

4. Josh Fox

Try running "alsactl store" (without quotes) after you make your changes in alsamixer. This is the command for the alsa settings to be saved.