Why do I get the message “Comments for this Question are closed” on MakeUseOf and Answers?

Kevin Fegan September 6, 2012

Why do I get the message “Comments for this Question are closed” on all questions I view on MakeUseOf.com/answers ?

When I view a question on MakeUseOf.com, the box where I normally type my answer to someones question is gone. In its place is a message:

“Comments for this Question are closed”
“If you are looking for help, please ask a new question here.”
“We will be happy to help you!”

This just started happening today after I answered a few questions asked by other people.

I tried refreshing my browser window, and also logging off of MakeUseOf.com and then logging back on … still the same result.

Any suggestions ?

1. Alex Perkins

Normally its because either theres been no activity on the "thread" for 180 days or the person that asked the question got the answer and set the question as resolved.

2. GrrGrrr

All old questions and articles are closed.

3. shaurya gupta

Coz its more than 180 days older.

It is calculated as per the date stamp of the question posted and then commenting is closed, once it crosses the internally decided time length.

5. fatihamzah

The Question or the Article is just too Old, everyone get this, so dont worry

6. Erlis Dhima

The question is too old!
    And if it is marked as solved, then the limit to comment after marked as solved is smaller!

7. Justin Pot

Old articles and questions are all eventually closed for commenting in order to prevent the Internet from overfilling and exploding. It's not just you: it's a site-wide setting.

You might be trying to answer those questions under UNRESOLVED section in which there are some or many questions being older hence comments being closed.

9. Usman Mubashir

2 things...
    1. The question is too old
    2. It is marked resolved.
    I can't think of third.

• Vipul Jain

after marking as resolved also, the question stays open for further inputs if someone has any for sometime.

10. Dalsan

Try clearing the cache in your browser. I have seen the mark your question as resolved thing on questions I try to answer before, but I have never asked a question here before. I have only seen this on my phone browser, but not often and a refresh corrects it. I can't offer much more advice than trying to clear your cache, trying another browser, or reinstalling the browser (uninstalling the IE9 update and reinstalling it).

• Dalsan

I just got this a few moments ago on another question that I did not ask but was checking on the answers and refreshing did not work, but opening the page again corrected the problem. (Again on my phone browser) ": Has your question be answered? If so, please click here to mark this question as resolved." Either you are or were experiencing a glitch like I did/do on occasion, or you are looking at dead questions.

11. muotechguy

That's not possible. Comments are closed according to date, not on a per user basis.