How can I merge two wireless switches in the same network?

Jeremiah Nti June 2, 2011

I am trying to merge two wireless switches in the same network. I need help.

I have 2 wireless, 1 switch.

I want one of the wireless to transmit within the other, like one should be the subset of the other.

Hi
    Can Two Routers Be Used on the Same Home Network?
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/f/two_routers.htm

Modem> Linksys WRT160N (example)>switch>Linksys WRT300N.

Configurations to be done on the Linksys WRT300N:
    - Do not use internet port.Connect router to switch using regular port only.
    - Change LAN IP to 192.168.1.2
    - Disable it's DHCP server.
    - Setup wireless settings same as of the main router but use different channel.

Hello, as long as your routers support wireless bridging there should be no problems....that is if you do not want to use wires.  If you want to use wires you will need a crossover cable.  Of course you will have to make changes on the configuration.  You could use the spare router as an access point. You will have to disable DHCP and change the IP address to something on the existing subnet.  Also, keep in mind that this address has to be out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. As an example, if the DHCP server addresses range from 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100, the address on the access point would have to be an address over the 100 range.  To be on the safe side, you could give the access point the address 192.168.1.254.

you'll need one of the wifi devices (routers?) to be capable of what is called "repeater". Look up your routers with that phrase and I'm sure you'll find instructions. If indeed that is what you wanted? One controls everything, the other just repeats the signal in antoehr area of the house.