How can I merge and split partitions to change their sizes without formatting?

James Zosi September 23, 2012

My HDD is 320GB. I did partition it by using disk mgmt, so have C and D both, with 139 & 129, respectively.

I needed a third partition with equal capacity, but couldn’t do it using disk mgmt. So I used Partition Magic and split C drive to make a new partition of 40GB.

Now I want to split the 40 GB from D drive and merge it with E, to make C 100GB, D 100GB, and E about 80 GB without formatting because I don’t have laptop driver CD. It’s an Aspire D270. What should I do?

1. Micheal

first of all, backup your data. and then you may know partition wizard. the newest version can split partitions in one simple step. but if you want to merge partitions, you may have to pay some money. if you dont want to pay, use windows partition manager.

2. Abba Jee

use a free software called Mini Tools partition wizard home its free... you can do search for it on google ... it has way many features you can use later in case you ever need shrik or extend your partitions size ... if you have only one drive windows installed in it you can do it from desktop right click on computer select manage it will show you Computer management window from left panel select Disk Management there you can right click on your only one disk and chose shrink volume ONLY so you can chose later free space which you got from shrinking your ONLY partition

3. allan jay monteclaro

I normally use a Linux Live CD. Boot it up and use the disk manager software inside.

4. prasad kondaveti

Use Paragon Partition Manager

5. Raja Pradeep

Use EseUS Partition master home edition.

6. antony27 avjy27

AOMEI partition software direct download from the site AOMEI..... see this copy rights site for this software is available free download......

7. antony27 avjy27

AOMEI partition software direct download from the site http://www.disk-partition.com/partition-manager-pro-edition.html..... see this copy rights site for this software is available free download......

I like MiniTool's Partition Wizard Home Edition, a free disk utility available at download.cnet.com

9. Bodi Hemanth

hey you can backup your laptop drivers through using the driver genious, drp suite 2012,etc...,

10. Nikhil Gupta

* first go to manage option of ur windows by right click on my computer and select manage for drop menu.
    * then select disk management from select menu
    * select the partition which u want to inc or dec
    * then select option srink or extend volume by right click on partition letter and select from drop down menu...

11. Vipul Bansal

Use EASEUS PARTITION MASTER. With it you won't need to format or delete anything. Just by moving a Slider you can adjust the volume of your new partition.
    Whatmore, its free for home users.
    I divided my 500GB HDD into 3 partitions.

12. Vipul Bansal

Use EASEUS PARTITION MASTER.
    U don't need to format any existing partition and by just moving a slider create a new partition which works.
    I used it to divide my 500GB hard disk into 3 partition.
    Whatmore the software is absolutely free for home use. :)

13. Manoj Kumar

Use Aomei Partition Assistant It,s free for personal use...

14. Alex

You need to first shrink disk D to release the 40 GB.
    Moreover, the unallocated space must be left before to the D drive (after the drive E) and not at the end of the disk. (with the built-in DdiskMgmt can not handle it, it is better to use some of the recommended users)
    Second, expand drive E on all the free 40GB.
    I did that all operations with the partitions, with the aid of paid Paragon Hard Disk Manager.
    For You I can recommend PartitionGuru free - the most advanced of the free tools.

15. Lambvolution

use Wondershare Disk Manager
    http://www.wondershare.com/disk-manager/
    it's easy to use and FREE

16. Henry Lahman

without looking at files and assuming space-wise this won't cause any problems
    boot up Gparted Live (you should be able to use a flash drive) (if Ubuntu is installed boot into that and install/open Gparted)
    Then you have to shrink C & D then move D over and expand The third partition needs to be moved and expanded
    You'll be warned about potential data loss but it's never happened to me (be sure you're doing it right) then it'll take time and you can reboot back to windows
    done

17. Dimal Chandrasiri

the best way is to delete all the partitions, and re partition the entire disk. what you are going to do is, get 40GB from C nd trying to merge it with the E partition. ( that's what I understood from your description ) logically this is not possible.

another thing you can do is, merge the 40GB to the D drive. and then take out the excess 40GB from D to E. that'll work.. bt From C to E is not going to work.. ( with the experience i have )

or else, try a formatting. it'll save your precious time. if you are only worried about the drivers, just get them from here. if the model is not Acer Aspire on D270, please leave a comment and I'll find it for you. :)

http://www.acerdriverdownload.com/acer-aspire-one-d270-windows-7-drivers

18. Kernel Recovery Tools

You need to merge the partitions first then re-partition your HDD as per you requirement through Disk management.

• Henry Lahman

that would require formatting

An alternative to Partition Magic is Paragon's Partition Manager. The free version will allow you to create, move, resize, and delete partitions. The home version (currently $10 on their site.) includes the ability to split, merge, and undelete partitions (among others). More details available here.

20. illegal3alien

If you don't encounter the problems Mike described, you should be able to just use Partition Magic again.

I believe you are facing the limitation of primary partitions within the Master Boot Record.

The MBR does not support more than 4 primary partitions. Since you are using an "out of the box" notebook with Windows 7 you may have hit that limit:
    1 System-Reserved
    2 Windows (C)
    3 data partition (D)
    4 some hidden manufacturer partition containing recovery and/or other tools

Assuming that is correct you simply can't create another partition on your drive.

You could try converting the data partition (D) into an extended one which would then act as a container for multiple other partitions. However, I'm not sure you can allocate the current free space to this extended partition.

I think the best way to go about is to make the data partition as big as possible (including the 40GB from C), then convert it into an extended partition.
    Once that is done you should be able to resize it and create another partition wihin the now 100GB free space.

• Henry Lahman

D usually is recovery
      though you can put whatever you want on there

22. Vijaynand Mishra

partition magic

23. Erlis Dhima

Use Partition Commander, and for merging read their help files...

24. GrrGrrr

You can use Free EaseUS® Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

How to merge partitions for more space with partition software?
    http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/merge-partition.htm

Absolutely, use this software, highly recommended and very easy to use with graphical interface. Have been using it for years without a hitch.

• bonioloff

Yes, use this software.. I already try this, and it works..

• Jorge Bascur

I agree. This software works. A required reboot, which is no big deal, and your drives and partitions are ready

• Amit Sinha

it is always recommended to make a back up of your files before performing any disk partition

25. Kunal Kakkad

hey did u have any kind of data in 40gb partition.???

move your files to the bigger one, delete the files from the origin partition and then merge the two partitions.