How can I merge duplicate folders?

SP March 8, 2010

I have 2 or 3 documents folders and 2 or 3 download folders and 2 or 3 pictures folders etc. They all have different files in them.
I am so confused & never know where to look.
The operating system is Windows Vista.
Please! How do I fix this?

1. Taty

Hi SP
    Letting windows do it for you is a good idea if you want to keep the newest versions of each file. You can also use software such as WinMerge
    http://winmerge.org/
    To compare the files for you.

2. boomerkid

Thank you Jack Cola , timmyjohnboy [Moderator] & Steve Campbell for coming to my aid....
    it was a jungle in there..much appreciated!

I would just open the folders, and move all the files from one folder and put them in another.

But I know what you mean. I have about three separate locations for just random files and I tried looking for a particular one last night, and I could find it. Lucky for email though.

4. timmyjohnboy

You can always have both folders open side-by-side, highlight, right click, and cut all of the files in one folder and paste them into the other folder. Like Steve said, be careful about sub-folders within those folders!

5. Steve Campbell

If the folders are titled the same thing you can just drag the one into the folder that the other one is in (e.g. 2 folders titled Downloads, one is located in root C:, drag the other one to root C:)

In Vista, a dialogue should appear that says something like "Folder already exists. What do you want to do?" One of the options is merge data.

BE CAREFUL though because if there are folders inside the download folders with the same name you might accidentally overwrite them if you don't change their names or pick the right option. Just read carefully before clicking :)