How can I best merge data from multiple hard drives and find duplicate files?

Mike in Bangkok September 24, 2010

I have 5 old hard drives that have been replaced over time with newer, larger hard drives. I kept the old ones as backups. Now I want to copy all the contents of the old drives onto one, very large hard drive. Is there a good utility program that can search through and identify the duplicates and then allow me to delete all duplicates and just keep one copy of each file?

YOu can use a sync utility and to sync only the required folders

WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle. Then, if you want to detect duplicate files on your Windows system, you might want to check out this donation-ware called CloneSpy.

Clone Tools

AllDup enables you to find duplicate files across one or more folders or drives. You can choose to match files by size, name, date, attributes and byte-by-byte content comparison, and also configure a variety of settings to exclude certain file types or folders from the search.

Fast Duplicate File Finder:
    is a free software which help you find all duplicate files in a folder and its sub folders. It will compare the content of your files so it will find duplicates even if they are using different file names.

Easy Duplicate Finder

Duplicate Finder 2009

Also You can try treesize