Which media player is the best?

Vito April 22, 2010

I was wondering if you guys could help me with choosing a free media player by reviewing WMP, GOMPlayer, KMPlayer, BSPlayer, VLC and any other ones you know. It would be great to compare not only performance, but also what features one has the others don’t.

1. Barrydunwell

Have tried all sorts but always go back to VLC...Bazo3

2. Alane

VLC beats all. i like it.

3. Tarek

of course VLC

4. X64 Bits

i currently use the haihaisoft universal player,.It supports playing more than 400 media formats and the media files protected by DRM-X. Its FREE and you can download from http://xdrm.media-drm.com/Haihaisoft-Universal-Player.aspx

5. manish

hi VLC is good player but it doesn't support to much file format. you can use k-lite codec media pack its support lots of file. to download this software click the link give below http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

VLC does support many video formats!

6. seslisohbets

The best part is they are free, so you can try and decide yourself with no limitations.

7. seslisohbets

Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out

8. pceasies

I'll vote Media Player Classic with K-Lite codec pack for resource use
    VLC for it's ability to play almost anything (built in codecs) and features

Always liked Winamp for audio

9. R.J.Ratnaraj

Thanks all the guys answereing here. I here was wondering what player used. I too am opting for VLC which I have never used. I will start giving a try. Thanks

good choice!

Like you guys, i really like VLC player, but now i change my mind to another player. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, the winner is Splayer. http://www.splayer.org/index.en.html

i was wondering when MUO will be reviewing this. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out.

For features and range of formats supported - VLC, and that is what I use. That said, the interface could be better, and "performance" is not always as good as it could be, so I would suggest you download the lot, try them out and decide for yourself!

I like Windows Media Player mainly because it's on the computer from when you install it. Winamp would have to be my second favourite. My third favourite would be VLC mainly because it plays almost everything. If Windows Media Player can't play it, I go straigt to VLC and watch/listen to it.

Another thumbs up for VLC. It also got the highest number of votes in previous MakeUseOf poll on best free video players.

A good alternative to VLC is KMPlayer.

It depends on personal likes. My "all time favorite" is Media Player Classic combined with a nice codec pack like the K-lite. VLC is an awesome option too, but personally I find its decoding performance (sometimes) not as good. I have both of this players installed so I get covered for any possibility.

• Vito

Antonio,

Is "MPC" and "MPC Home Cinema" the same, or do you mean just MPC? It seems it hasn't been updated in a long while. Is that right?

I'm currently using the Home Cinema version. The latest version was released in August 2009. Think that it doesn't need too many updates as its performance is based in the quality of the codecs you have installed on your system. For me, the best codec pack is the K-Lite, really ease to install, uninstall and upgrade. By default it lets you define which player to use and includes the latest MPC Home Cinema build available. Hope it helps! Cheers!

15. Remi Jr.

Definitely VLC.
    It's pretty simple and basic, but gets all the necessities done and often times goes beyond the call of duty. Occasionally, it will help you repair a broken file or a corrupted file for viewing purposes, which has become extremely useful.
    It's pretty straightforward, not too intricate and can manage any movie format and other digital formats as well (audio, imagery).
    Really sick application!

16. Johnathan TheTool Lane

That is an easy question. VLC is the best media player. Although it doesn't have a fancy GUI it is a powerful tool that is compatible with almost any media type, can stream over networks and the internet when configured, has frequent updates, and is entirely free. Since I stumbled onto VLC a few years back it has saved my arse. I don't have to worry about movie formats and sometimes I even just play films straight from the .iso image. It's a great tool especially when you know how to use it!