How can I get maximum speed on a shared WLAN internet connection?

Umar Farooq December 5, 2011

I have 4mpbs connection shared on WLAN with 10 people. Mostly my internet speed is very slow because of too many users. Is there any way to get maximum speed? I mean to get more speed than others?

1. bacco

just put IP and DNS

2. shubhendu bharmer

well do u think that if i place an antena made up of aluminum foil beside my bluetooth it will increase the reception of signal........i sounds idiotic but i guess i works .....if some one try it let me know the obsevation

3. Jaskd

kjjksjaddas

if you cant access the router will be very difficult

close applications, Antivirus programs update lots, so does Windows, instant messengers, twitter clients, news readers do the same.

try to use AppBooster
    http://www.appsmaker.com/
    You can make a profil by shutting unnecessary services...and see if that will help you.

If you can administrate the Router/Access Point your best option is [assuming it is available] to enable QoS (Quality of Service).
    It will allow you to give certain applications (ports), protocols and also an individual computer (e.g. via MAC-Address) higher or highest priority than all other traffic.

Other then that as Mjevolve pointed out it depends on what the other users are doing.

If someone is downloading Torrents with 2000 (half) open connections your Modem/Router will most likely be under full load [unless you have an SMB/Enterprise which supports like 10.000 open connections]. In that case it simply won't be capable to perform other things "in time" or at "decent speed".

• Umarfarooqleo

thanx bro..... QoS is available. but is it necessary that the admin has activated it? or can i just activate it from my Tp-link reciever & enjoy the benefits.

• Mjevolve

enabling QoS wont work from your side . 
        if enabled , it would regulate traffic just on your PC .

it has to be enabled at the main modem / router that is serving all the other computers connected with the network , including yours ! 

did you check if that main router at the starting point has this feature ?

if it does , then it requires to be enabled by the network admin or some one who has access to the network/router settings and especially by some one with networking knowledge !

Hello, if you are not the administrator of the network and therefore have no access to router settings.......there is little you can do.  One of the few things you could try, is using the internet when nobody else is using it.  Or at least when fewer people are using it.   The best option, if possible, would be to have your own internet....but I understand that that is not possible all the time.

7. Mjevolve

hello .

i dont think thats exactly possible .

only if the network admin sets bandwith limits on every computer connected on the network , so that every one gets an equal share out of the total , will it work good .
    else, any single computer on the network is left at the mercy of how many other PCs are connected at any given time and how much bandwith are they using .
    if simple surfing , it wont make a big difference on speeds one will get .
    if p2p like torrenting , then of course it would eat up a lot of bandwith and one would get minimal speeds .

there are apps like the netlimiter , but then it needs to be installed on every single pc .

have a talk with your network admin and make him understand and he might do some thing about it ..