How can I maximize the battery life of my Dell laptop?

Melissa Twice August 24, 2012

My laptop battery is Dell Vostro 3350 battery. It is new. Now I want to know how to make my battery last longer during each charge cycle and live longer over many cycles. Thanks!

1. Sumaiya

what i do:
    > brightness low
    > brightness lowest if idle for 5 minutes
    > turn off display if idle for 10 minutes
    > sleep if idle for 15 minutes
    > never let the battery die completely before recharging
    > turn off aero
    > turn off skype..this REALLY helps..

2. Tony Batty

iVad3r and Ben have the best reply so far and I would advise you to do it and you will see the difference, GrGrr is right too too many discharging and re-charging does reduce the life of the battery, they will usually start to show you that that is the case with a notification popping up, every time you start up your laptop and also during its use.

3. Benjamin Glass

Charge your laptop all the way to 100%, and then keep it unplugged until you get the critical battery level warning. Also, turn down the display brightness to the lowest you can comfortably see. Then, shut down all of the power guzzling programs: Google Earth, BOINC, and anything else of that sort.

4. Kaashif Haja

Use in Power saver modem (or) Optimum mode. Don't go for high performance mode!!!

5. Kaashif Haja

Use in Power saver modem (or) Optimum mode.
    Don't go for high performance mode!!!

6. jrasulev

Here you can find a brief article about saving your battery's life

Hello Melissa,

On a mobile computer, I'm a big fan of underclocking the CPU and shutting off all unnecessary components, such as the ports you're not using. In particular, any wireless devices should be turned off, like Bluetooth. I believe there's an article on MUO (written by Ryan Dube) that explains how to shut off unneeded devices. On my Toughbook, I shut off pretty much all non essential components and got about 14 hours of battery life.

Here's a guide from Wikihow.

However, the single biggest thing you can do is shut off the WiFi, which oftentimes extends battery life by hours. On your Dell, there's probably function-key that turns off WiFi. Just look on the F-keys.

8. Aaron Perkinson

Always plug it in to a protected power source...

How To Increase The Lifetime Of Your Laptop Battery -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/increase-lifetime-laptop-battery/

And after that,switch to SSD if you are willing to as it has no moving parts.Use lightweight apps that don't hog much of system resources such as Avast antivirus,Microsoft security essentials for antiviruses,Firefox for browser,ImgBurn for dealing with burning CD/DVDs etc..

10. Ben Mordecai

1. Reduce the brightness on the screen
    2. Turn off wifi when not being used
    3. Disconnect USB devices that are not being used.
    4. Don't run processor intensive programs.
    5. Keep the laptop in a cool environment to reduce the demand on the fans.
    6. Avoid using too much memory. This may mean upgrading your memory. When you run out of memory, the hard disk creates a pagefile which acts like slow memory, the hard disk contains moving parts, which consume a decent amount of power. Anything you can do to reduce the hard drive usage will be a plus.

• debbie

In re to number 2-just remember, that most computer updates are done in the middle of the night, so if the wifi is off, this won't happen. You'll have to manually check for those. If you use Windows, there are major patches usually once a month on Tues-you don't want to miss those!

11. Erlis Dhima

What iVad3r said, those are the things you can do..
    Also, I would consider, don't use a battery, if you have good electricity at your home (which means no blackouts or changing of the voltage. This means good quality electricity!)
    If the voltage changes, it can sometimes destroy the recharger, and sometime even your motherboard!
    Hope it helped! ^^

12. iVad3r

Here are some tips:

1. Always make the battery dies, then recharge to 100% while it's turned off.

2. Manage the brightness at your need.

3. Set it to sleep or just shut it down.

4. Turn off the Softwares you aren't using.

5. Make a timer, so when like 10 minutes pass and you aren't using it, it will just turn off the display or sleep.

• Melissa Twice

Ok,I see.

• GrrGrrr

I read somewhere that discharging battery too often would further reduce its life

• Kaashif Haja

Helpful tips.
      Thanks!!!