How can I mass-delete 2k+ mails on Yahoo Mail?
Question by Metahawk /

Okay, a little background. I have a email account that I only use for online shopping. Subsequently, I only check it every couple of weeks. When I recently checked, I found 2000+ unread emails. I had obviously ticked a box somewhere. Most of the emails are daily offers from just 2 or 3 sites. I have unsubscribed but now need to clean up my mailbox.

Is there a way to mass delete everything? I have tried altering my reading pane but can only get the first 20 or so emails to show at once and deleting 2000+ emails that way would take forever.

Do email accounts have a mail filter setting? If so, can I set it to shift all the daily emails to one folder (that I can delete later) and will the filters work on any unread emails or just on new ones?

Any info or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

• Beverly Little

I cannot find the gear to change my email to ckasic

• Ail

You need to switch to Yahoo Mail Basic/Classic to delete all emails in a folder:

Tools (this is the gear button near your name at the upper-right) -> Settings -> Viewing Mail -> Select BASIC in the Mail Version -> Save

On My Folders, click Edit -> Click Delete on the folder you want including all the messages inside it

VOILA!!! ALL GONE!!!

NOTE: Switch back to new Yahoo Mail again if you want.

• Tarek Al Maraghi

Exactly what I was looking for. Great tip. Thanks

• Haris

I don’t know. But I know that Google (gmail) can do it.

• Candice_otto

switch to scrolling view in settings and ctl+a delete all at once !

• xyx

dude i friggin love u so much!!! you saved me and my gf from being expelled :) thanks a ton!!

• Rich

I am presently deleting 64,000+ emails sent from a subscription site to one of my folders.  Thought it was time for a mass clear out… With Yahoo Classic view mail, change your settings in Options from viewing 200 messages per page to ‘short preview without text…’
    This was a time saving move – not bad for less than 5 clicks of the mouse!

• Angela

Rich – thanks for this! Totally worked to delete 24,000 mails at one go.

• Angela

By the way – I think I’m using the new Yahoo Mail, and the option to check is called “In a scrolling list (hide Preview Pane)”. Hope this helps someone.

• Jan

Thanks, Rich!

• Tvouk

in Yahoo Mail you can show up to 200 messages / results per page. This way you only have to ‘select all’ and ‘delete all’ 10 times each.

Go to > Options (top right) > Mail Options > General, select the number of messages to display from the > ‘Messages/results per page’ drop-down menu, and click > Save Changes (top left).

Next you can switch to > Filters (left-hand menu) and set up filters to sort mail into pre-defined folders in the future. Unfortunately, this only works for incoming mail. You cannot run the filter on mail that already sits in your inbox.

• metahawk

Thank you for that – helps a lot. I’ll be careful what I tick next time

Thanks for the feedback. :)

• guest

now just in case you are still having the issue. if you go into setting you can view as a scroll bar. then select all, hit spam/delete and poof!