How can I manually sign a Word document without printing it?
Question by Amos /

I often receive Word documents that I have to manually sign and mail back.
Is there an easy way to sign it with Word or any other software, without first printing, signing, scanning and then sending back?

• Digital Media

Hello dear.You have written a great post. Going to share with my followers on twitter. Thanks for sharing.

• David

Personally, I go to my favorite image editor, insert a scanned copy of my signature convert it to a png file, so I can strip the background away so all that is left is the the underlined signature. then I crop away everything but the signature then save that file. When I need to sign a document, I insert my sig file, then size it appropriately, then convert the document into a pdf file. then fax it back electronically. They receive a perfect document with a perfect signature. I’ve seen many after they arrived and you wouldn’t know I didn’t sign it personally. I always keep the original on file, so If and one tries to copy I have some protection, I also keep several copies of that signature around because none of us sign exactly the same every time. Just food for thought.

• Sean Byrne

I generally insert a high resolution scanned image of my signature into the Word Document. Then I convert it to an adobe pdf file before emailing.

• Jack Cola

You may want to read Page 40 of the Writing Professional Reports and Documents, as it briefly discusses signatures.Read it online at…Or visit the info page at….

• Taty

You can use a digital signature. It is actually legally binding in some states. To add a digital signature on the newest word versions, click on the Office button on the top left corner of word and select Prepare. Inside Prepare menu, select Add a Digital signature option. Follow the wizard from there. A scanned signature would most probably not be a valid signature.

the whole procedure sounds very weird to me. Is it legal? If you scan the file with your signature, couldn’t anyone just cut and paste your signature into their documents? I mean obviously, they don’t have your original signature, just scans or copies of it.

Anyways, if you don’t have to return the document with your original signature, why don’t you simply scan your signature and paste the image into every document you have to sign?

This solution isn’t flawless, but would save you some time. Maybe you could scan a whole page with signatures and not use always the same one.

• Amos

Hi Tina,
      This procedure is legal and actually very customary in Israel… (it does not include a more secure statements like the ones from banks)
      If you need to sign a statement, you can either sign and return it via fax or email.
      since email is more accessible to me, i would love to find a solution to ease that. your suggestion will work of course but is not very elegant and can consume some time.
      I was hoping to find a solution that can allow me to actually simulate writing with a pen (but with a mouse) to sign the Word document.

Here at MakeUseOf we sign lots of agreements.

Before I would print, sign and scan every agreement. As you said it takes a lot of time. Later I just cut off the signature from one of the agreements and started using it. If the agreement is a Word document it’s extremely easy to add and position it as you like. The outcome is the same but takes a LOT less work.