How can I manually make a group of fonts into a family?

Barney Rubble January 5, 2012

Is there a way to manually set a group of typefaces as a family?

Well, what exactly do you want as a result and want to use it for?

If you simply want them to look like a family you could use FontLab [or similar] and simply make the name changes e.g. if you want to combine Arial normal, Helvetica bold and Times italic you could rename them to "myfamily normal, myfamily bold, myfamily italic".

If you want to combine them into a single file I'm certain FontLab or another font tool can achieve this too [with the help of the manual or searching through the web].

* This was just an example. Obviously you are only allowed to do such things with your own or public domain fonts

• Barney R.

Thanks for the reply you two!

So I downloaded a family of fonts, which includes different weights, everything from light to extra heavy oblique. Any who, in the font folder instead of stocking up as a family (e.i. Futura>Futura normal, bold, etc.) they just show up as individual files in the folder.

Each individual typeface works fine, it's just messy. And I can't just select them, right click and combine them into a family, nor can I create a folder within the font folder just for this typeface.

btw, I'll try both programs that were recommended.

It is quite common that each typeface is presented in its' own file.

For one a TrueType or OpenType Font Collection (.TTC) only makes sense if the typefaces share various glyphs which allows to only add the differential characters resulting in a smaller file size.

The second reason probably is font licencing in which one file per typeface allows a user to only purchase the typeface he needs instead of paying for an entire family with e.g. 15 different typefaces of which he only needs two or so. The result is a much more variable pricing model.

Personally I don't really see the issue with it being "messy". Usually you install them once and then just use them without worrying about the folder. If you manage bigger font collection I can only give you the advice to use a font manager like Suitcase and such. They will not only organize the font collection for you but in most cases also check the font files for defects/corruptions and allow you to only activate the fonts you need resulting in a cleaner font selection without your programs.