How can I manage partitions in Windows 7?

Suhel May 14, 2011

I just got my new laptop (yayyy..!!)

Now am stuck. It’s a big leap from Windows XP SP2 to Windows 7 64bit. Now I managed to create partition, but am not satisfied.

Is there a way where I can create 100 GB partitions? It just allowed me to create a single 250 GB partition and won’t allow me more than 20 GB partition now. Help please!

1. Ray

Windows works fine with many partitions, however there is quite a bit of documentation about the MBR record (1st record on the Physical drive).   What is said that can only contain links for 4 partitions.   To get around the limit, one of them can be what is called an Extended partition, which can contain only other partitions (no files).    

My Windows has all on C Drive, eliminating system Reserved and Recovery partitions.  Then I have E (temporary) F (data), G (storage), H (Old Stuff).   Only the Operating system and installed Programs are on C drive.   Pictures,Videos, Douments all moved to F drive. 

This makes backups fast, and sytem recovery even faster.

2. Prateek Kumar Singh

If nothing works, boot from a Linux LiveCD and change the size of partitions there. Windows will work perfectly on greater than 4 primary partitions but it won't just allow you to create more partitions, which you can always do with Linux.

:)

3. Prateek Kumar Singh

The problem is with Windows 7's limit on the number of primary partitions which is 4. Normally, there are two hidden primary partitions namely OEM and RECOVERY. Plus the drive C. Now Windows poses this problem here. It is set to create a single partition with the largest amount of contiguous unallocated space. Thats why you get that 250GiB partition. And this C drive won't shrink(not without a third party app such as Paragon Hard Disk Manager or EASEUS's Partition utility). So you are stuck with some free space which was not contiguous(20GiB in your case). 

My verdict..try a third party app.. Both of the products listed above have a free version capable of solving your problem..

Happy Notebooking.. :)

Hi can you check if you r partitions are Basic or Dynamic
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. You can also right-click My Computer and choose Manage if you have My Computer displayed on your desktop.In the left pane, click Disk Management.In the lower-right pane, right-click he disk that you want to convert, and then click Convert to basic Disk. You must right-click the gray area that contains the disk title on the left side of the Details panelif you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, the dynamic volumes cannot be changed back to partitions. You must first delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, you must first back up the data or move it to another volume.

@b051cfabbe8e6596c47455b265b23f36:disqus I've 500GB hardisk I'd first split the main into approx. <=250  but the C: wont shrink any further on the other hand the other 250 is getting split. it is normal?

Hello, I would say it is normal.  Sometimes disk management will not let you shrink the main drive too much.  Maybe you could try some third party software to partition your drive. 

Hello, did you shrink the 250 Gb partition or you just tried to make another one?  In order for you to create more partitions, you need to shrink the partition you have so that it gives you free/unallocated space. What you have to do is, go to the disk management screen and then right click on the 250Gb partition.  On the box that pops up select shrink partition and make sure that you selected the size of the partition.  When it finishes shrinking the partition it will give you unallocated/free space.  You have to remember that you can only shrink a partition so much, because the operating system needs certain space to work/run properly. 

Once the partition is shrunk, click on the unallocated/free space and you can create more partitions.  Right click on the unallocated space and then select create partition, and select the size you want.  If there is more unallocated/free space you can create more partitions.  It is important that you leave some unallocated space.  You have to keep in mind that on windows systems you can only create four primary partitions or three primary partitions and an extended partition where you can have more partitions but they will not be primary partitions.  Also keep in mind that your laptop probably came with two partitions already.  One for system restore and the other one, where your operating system is installed. 

Have you tried  Hirens bootcd, use it to boot and try to partition

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd