How can I manage my overload of emails on all my devices?

Lise Mahnke August 16, 2012

I use Outlook 2007, an iPhone, and two iPads to access my email. Many of the emails go to all the devices, which means going through on each device and deleting mail that has already been read on a different device. I have three main email addresses plus others, and I get hundreds of unopened emails on the phone after I’ve gone through them in Outlook. I use Outlook to filter for junk mail, but after a few days get behind–especially having to delete messages one at a time on the iPhone or iPad. Is there software to help or a strategy that will reduce the redundancy?

1. Ben Mordecai

You need to use IMAP or a Microsoft Exchange Server, instead of POP.

If you absolutely must use POP, configure all of your devices to leave a copy of the message on the server except for your main computer. This way, a message will only be deleted from the server when it has been read by your computer, not your devices.

2. Irshaad Abdool

use a webmail service and access your mail from their webinterface. you can also use a mail clien to syncronise your emails on all your devices

3. Darren Reynolds

IMAP is definitely the better option. By keeping your emails essentially in one place, what ever system or OS you access it by will be in sync. There is also a lesser risk of viruses being deposited onto your system.

Another way, depending on your knowledge, is to buy to a domain name, create your email address on your new domain and the forward it to a web based email account. I do this using google!!!

There is a good guide put on here the other day worth reading - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pop-vs-imap/

4. Justin Pot

Who provides you with email? Like Bruce said: IMAP is the way to avoid this. With IMAP everything you do with your email on all of your devices will be in sync. The other alternative, which also might be possible, is Microsoft's Exchange: it also keeps things in sync. But in order to help you set this up we need to know who is providing you with email access.

Gmail, for example, provides IMAP access. Many ISP-provided email services do not.

5. GrrGrrr

Go for IMAP to have the changes made visible on all the devices. Read more below:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pop-vs-imap/

Configure all of your email accounts and applications to use IMAP instead of POP3 (if possible). POP3 simply downloads all of your email from the server to your client software while IMAP files and folders remain on the server and syncl to the client. By doing this, no matter what device you are using, you will always see your email in its most current state. Deleting email from one device will remove them from what all of the devices see. The drawback to this is the additional amount of time communicating with the server while syncing that is not there with POP3 which only cares if a particular message has already been downloaded or not.