How can I manage my Mac apps collection by function?

Roderick Chu February 5, 2011

I’ve bought several bundles of Mac software and now have a hard time recalling what each one does. The obscure names of many of the apps don’t help. Is there an app or organizational technique I can use that can help me access my apps by the functionality I need?

Use a software cataloger, but you have to add the details, so next time you open the catalogue then choose the soft and get the details

Delicious Library 2
    http://www.delicious-monster.com/

Libririan pro
    http://www.koingosw.com/products/librarianpro.php

If you are using Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) or newer you could use Dock Stacks to organize your Apps.

First off you have create sub folders for each type of Applications. For example you could create folders names "Communication", "Office" and whatever else you have.
    Then you sort your Apps into these folders via drag&drop.
    The last step is to drag&drop all these folders into the Dock. When you click on it you will see the Apps you sorted into this folder.
    Via right click (or ctrl + click) on one of the Stacks you can control how the content is displayed and sorted.

Personally, I don't like to move Apps because sometimes it will break automatic updates or other functions. Especially the default Mac OS X Apps don't like to be moved.

I usually create a main folder called "Stacks" within my home folder (/Users/myusername/Stacks) and add sub folders for each type of Applications like "Office", "Adobe" and "Tools".
    Then I create aliases to the Applications within those folders. Basically you drag&drop the Application.app into the folder while holding "alt + cmd". Aliases are marked with a little arrow in lower left corner of the App icon.
    The last step is the same ~ drag&drop the folders with the Aliases into the Dock.