How do I manage to get my fair share of internet speed on a shared LAN network?

Mustafa Syed September 30, 2011

I’m presently at a dormitory. Like everyone else got a LAN internet connection. Problem is, some of the guys just keep on downloading torrents and then we don’t even have speed to browse.

Is there any way I could stop these guys from my own PC or at least trace them? Please help!

1. Nashir

how can i check the internet speed if it be dedecated or sheare

First of all look through your ISPs service description and service level guarantee/agreement. There you will find all information about your connection.

A common description you will find is "best-effort" which means that the effective speed may differ from the payed speed depending on the signal quality and strength.

Another one is variable-bitrate, variable- or shared-bandwidth which means the bandwidth you get may vary depending on several factors e.g. again the signal, current load at the local exchange, total subscribers.

In general one can say that for DSL connections you usually have a dedicated bandwidth. That means the bandwidth you pay for is available for you but still may not be reached duo to line quality (see best-effort).

For cable connections you usually have shared/variable-bandwidth. The more users around you are connect via cable the lower your bandwidth is going to be.

One bottleneck you can't eliminate, influence or get away from is the backbone connection. For example if the backbone from the local exchange to the operators network is e.g. 400Mbit all customers on that exchange share those 400Mbit.

2. Mjevolve

yes thats possible .

but you need to be the administrator of the modem or the router to which your and everybody else's computers are connected .

in the  modems / routers set up page , 
    there are options for seeing how many computers are connected at a time by identifying their MAC addresses .

you can see the amount of data transferred and can even stop net access or limit the bandwith to a single MAC address , meaning a single computer .

and there might even be some options to time limit the bandwith caps during certain hours of the day .

BUT , 
    all of these might be possible and might not be possible , 
    depending upon the options available in the Routers Firmware .!
    and 
    have Administrator access to those settings .

( the Router home page can be easily accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hitting enter . but we aware , it would ask for the network admin username and password in the next window. so be cautious before trying to access the admin settings , as the admin might not like it and may charge you ... )

so then your first answer should have been, yes it is possible but not for you....because he is not the admin.

• Mjevolve

hello FIDELIS,
        that is exactly what i said .

please read the answer again ... 

the first thing i have mentioned is -- " yes thats possible , and you need to be the admin of the router hosting the LAN connections . "

i later explained him the steps required, so that he can talk it up with the admin and ask him to look into the matter .

if you know about something , it makes communication easier ...!  :)

hope it makes sense ...  :)

Since it's a shared network I would start by asking those people to limit their usage to specific times or even better limit the speed and maximum peers and half open connections within their Torrent software.

If you can't make friends with that I would take a quick scan through the networks usage agreements and see if there is either some paragraph about P2P downloading or about affecting the networks performance.
    If you find something about that confront them with your findings and ask them to comply with it otherwise you will forward it to the administration.

From your question I wasn't sure if you actually know who keeps blocking the internet so if that's the case I would bring it to the administration right away.

Unless it is your own network I'm afraid you cannot really do something without acting outside the rules yourself.