What is making my browsers resize faster and faster on my PC until the PC reboots?

Tommy L December 31, 2013

I have a desktop PC that I built. The os is Windows 7 Home premium 64bit version. I am running a ssd hard drive, 16 gigs of ram, GeForce 670 video card, amd black 8-core processor and water cooling on the processor. I use Explorer v10, Chrome 31 and Firefox. Once I start any browser, the window will go from the set size to full screen and begin to switch back and forth faster and faster until the computer reboots. I am using Kaspersky anti-virus and have done an in depth scan with no results. I am unable to determine what is causing this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

All three browsers are using the F11 key to toggle between full screen and window mode. The same goes for a simple explorer window ~ does that keep toggling too?

The reason it's getting faster is because the first time you open up a browser it has to be loaded into the memory, once it is fully loaded switching gets faster. Also most modern processors clock down during desktop usage, with the increasing load of the constant switch clocks return to full speed making the toggling faster too.

Once you are within Windows try unplugging your keyboard and then open a browser with the courser.

If it stops with the keyboard unplugged the problem is mechanical:
    Your keyboard or at least the function key is broken, shorted, stuck. Or maybe the connector on the mainboard. Try a different USB port, try PS2 if that is an option, try a different keyboard if you can't do either.

If it continues doing that look through your running apps especially stuff like "AutoIt" for anything that could trigger a "F11 keypressed" command.

If the issue is isolated to your browsers I would say some cross-browser plugin is causing the issue. For example and outdated plugin e.g. from Skype or whatever.
    Since IE is part of the mix you are in luck as you can check the plugins outside the browser: open up the Internet Options (you can use the search within Start menu), go to the programs tab and click on manage Add-ons.

Make sure all add-ons are shown and then investigate by deactivating them one by one. Every time you deactivated one open up an IE window and see if the issue continues.
    If you managed to isolate a plug-in causing it uninstall the plugin/the application the plugin came with and install the latest version to see if that fixes it.

Go to device manager
    locate the video driver
    right click and choose uninstall (do not delete)
    reboot, windows will install the driver

Is this happening with web browsers only or will it do the same thing with other applications? Try again with something like FileZilla. Does it start happening when the program attempts to connect to resources on the Internet? If so, you probably have some kind of crap that has injected itself into the TCP/IP stack and is causing the issue but still hides from Kasperksy. Try scanning with known clean bootable media (Trinity Resource Kit or similar).