Why is MakeUseOf’s Ask Tech Help option not available from my Android device?

Rajaa Chowdhury September 27, 2012

When I visit MakeUseOf from the Dolphin or Chrome browser on my Android ICS mobile, I do not get the option to “Ask Tech Help”.

Is the option not available on MakeUseOf mobile version?

1. DalSan Mack

I forgot about the mobile version of the site. You can change the user agent in the settings of the browsers to Desktop instead of Android or mobile to force the full version of the site to load. If you are worried about performance, make sure that flash content is set to click to view.

Hey Rajaa!

I'm pretty sure it's because when we go to the main site, MUO first detects you're using Android and then reroutes you to the mobile version of the site, which is as stripped down as possible. That's exactly what a mobile site should look like.

However, if you go directly to http://www.makeuseof.com/answers (or any specific URL, following the primary address, such as makeuseof.com/SOMETHINGFOLLOWINGMUO), it will still load the site as normal. It's just the front page of MUO that triggers the redirect. If you look at your browser URL as you go to makeuseof.com, you'll notice this.

• HLJonnalagadda

Thanks. I did not there was a mobile version of the site!

3. DalSan Mack

I see it without any problems, unless I zoom in. If you use any ad blockers, especially Adfree, it can cause some parts of the site to be blocked or not visible. I use Maxthon Browser mostly and see similar problems when I have Adfree working, but it isn't as bad when I revert host files back, and zooming in makes parts of the page disappear. If you still have trouble visiting MUO Answers, you can get there from going here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers.

• salim benhouhou

i agree with you