How do MakeUseOf writers find topics?

Sahil May 26, 2011

Just a simple question for all the writers. From where do you guys get the inspiration for an article? How do you find topics ?

It will be very interesting to get an honest reply!

1. Saikat Basu

To answer your question, most of it comes from reading a lot on the web. It does not have to be only tech related stuff. For instance, I could be reading a random bit of news. Now, if you come to think of it for anything on the web there are loads of related apps around it. News has lots of special apps for reading, sharing, and what not. A Google search helps you find those apps and eureka, you have an idea for an article. This is just an example but it can be extended to anything on the web.But yes, you got to keep yourself aware of what's going on around you and that comes only from voracious reading.

When I feel like reviewing a new/cool app, I usually search through the latest offerings at CNet downloads and SourceForge. So many developers are constantly producing such amazing free, open-source applications that there's almost always something new to write about.

By the way, we did have a similar question earlier this year: Where do MakeUseOf writers get their inspiration from?

Hey Sahil,

I edited your question to say 'writers' instead of 'editors' because not everyone working for MakeUseOf is an editor and the writers are free to come up with their own story ideas.

As for myself, I basically come up with stories in three different ways. First of all, I write articles about things I'm interested in, problems I had to solve myself (e.g. stuck pixels) or topics I found fascinating (e.g. file systems). Secondly, I'm inspired by reading other blogs and sometimes tech magazines. Finally, MakeUseOf does provide a list of fresh and cool story ideas and I often pick titles from that list.

• Sahil Dave

Hi Tina,
      Thanks for reply !
      Can you suggest me those other blogs and tech mags ?

Sahil,

not really.

The last tech magazine I read and got ideas from was PC Welt, a German one, so not much help to you. Occasionally, I read free local papers and sometimes there are inspiring tech articles. I don't buy magazines or newspapers. I either pick them up for free or skim through when I see an interesting cover.

As for blogs, kinda the same thing. I discover and read tech blogs very randomly, usually while researching a story idea or following links. I'm subscribed to a bunch of sites, e.g. Home Design Find, Zen Habits, or The Daily Brainstorm, but none of these are about technology per se.