Why does MakeUseof not work with IE 7 or 8 in Windows XP or 7?

Geo March 24, 2010

I mean really, if you are trying to force IE users to Firefox or Chrome then it’s you who lose, Enterprise policy for many large organization is to standardize on IE. Nobody wants to be patching more than they have to.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; InfoPath.2)
Timestamp: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:42:05 UTC

Message: HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)
Line: 0
Char: 0
Code: 0
URI: //www.makeuseof.com/

Geo,

are you able to access MakeUseOf again in the meantime? If yes, do you have any idea what caused your problem? Please shed a light and give us an update. Thank you!

2. Geo

This happens from 3 different pc's: Windows 7, Windows xp and Windows Server 2003, all running IE8 and patches are up to date, with or without compatibility mode, no GPO's as this is my home network, so no firewall (it would have the same effect on Chrome or FF behind a firewall anyway). The issue looks like it's related to the ads to the right of first article. I've seen references to Adsense causing similar issues for some users on different sites, and story sort of checks out for me as I see the first article, "Screenpresso", and then only white space in IE where a Vonage ad appears in Chrome. Anything under and including the doubleclick.net ad is missing (Topics, MOU Guides etc <- Gone in IE), well to be precise, nothing appears down and to the right of the first article on all 3 systems using IE, this has been ongoing for weeks (long time lurker, first time poster).
    Error message I get links to this article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917

• John

I suggest you check your hosts file. Some antispyware such as Spybot will make additions to the hosts file to prevent tracking cookies from installing on your computer. I use a program called Hostsman to update my hosts file and they have a nice search feature that will allow you to deactivate an entry.

Unfortunately I am on Vista and while I can confirm that it works fine on IE7 on Vista, I can't test the IE on Win 7/XP now but am pretty sure that the sites designed to server all browsers. Even people using the outdated IE6 should be seeing the site just fine.

That being said, the similar error can occur when the flash objects that are called via Javascript (most of our ads) aren't formatted properly. But since we are serving thousands of ads via various ad agencies I have no way to really check that.

Do you see the issue on a regular basis? Tried to clear the cache and reload the page?

4. Taty

Yeah, have checked MUO on IE and no problems either. Could just be a problem with your IE. I don't think it's an issue of people trying to make their sites not be compatible to to IE. As a web designer I know that it's just that IE is making it so hard for us to be able to make it work. Test on IE, but have personally switched to Chrome after endless error messages all over the place.

5. Steve Campbell

Hey Geo,

I use IE and makeuseof shows up just fine. I don't know if you were experiencing a temporary outage of some kind or just an error, but I assure you we are not trying to 'force' anyone to do anything. Since you mentioned large enterprises, I wonder if you are behind a firewall or filter of some kind.

In my opinion (not MUO's), Firefox and Chrome are way better anyway, and I hope big business adapts their standards once Google overthrows Microsoft in the future, but that's just me. :)