How was the MakeUseOf website coded?

Barry Shatles December 9, 2010

I am about to create my first website. I don’t code I’ll use WordPress to start. And as I learn move up to Joomla or Drupal.

But I’m curious. Have you coded MakeUseOf.com? If not, which program did you use to create the site?

1. Stuart Shatles

Thanks. If WordPress is good enough for makeuseof.com it's good enough for me. As a beginner I'm not shooting for a site as dynamic as yours.

• Tilman

When I started working on my personal website (which is currently offline), I was also recommended to do it with WordPress. However, I decided to do it with Drupal IN SPITE OF not planning to do a dynamic website and even though I am pretty much a beginner myself, too. The main reason for my decision was that Drupal enables you to do the same things as in WordPress but many things more - and you never know what you want to do with your site in the future, right? :) So why not right away use the best CMS, i.e. Drupal? I didn't buy the argument that Drupal is more complicated. Sure, it is more complex, but if I anyway have to start from zero, I don't care whether I learn to use WordPress or whether I learn to use Drupal. So far, Drupal HAS served me well! But ok, if you know for sure that WordPress will suit your needs, then go ahead with it.

By the way Stuart, there is very little on the MUO site that is not built in to a basic wordpress install. You will achieve the same "dynamic" functionality without actually doing any complicated coding, and when you do feel like increasing functionality, there is sure to be a plugin that does it for you.

Barry,

MakeUseOf is based on WordPress. Our current WordPress Theme was designed by Kailoon.

As for all the other coding projects and software involved in making the site work as it does, you would have to wait for an answer from Jorge and Aibek.

• Tilman

Interesting... Has MUO ever considered Joomla or Drupal or anything else? Why was WordPress chosen? Could it be that you guys are working on a new version of the website with another more advanced CMS? :) Perhaps we will get more information from Jorge or Aibek :)

I doubt we will ever move MUO to Joomla or Drupal, as there simply isnt the same level of support out there for them and the process of transferring the huge amount of database information would be too much trouble for very little gain.

I'm curious as to why you think Joomla or Drupal are more advanced than WordPress? In my opinion, they are far from it. The plugin community for Joomla and Drupal is poor at best, with thousands of incomptibilities, broken plugins etc. I've never had a pleasurable experience with either. Joomla does have a better community / forums aspect to it though, but I couldn't say if that's something we at MUO would ever go with in the future.

Though, we could do with a new design, I'm sure the higher-ups have something in the works!

• GeekLad

Like James, I also doubt we'll ever move from WordPress. I wish that WordPress was object-oriented, as it would make it much easier to develop plugins and interface with objects (users, posts, comments, etc). When you develop WordPress plugins and themes, you have to use global functions that return individual variables and associative arrays. If it was object oriented, you would get back objects with methods and properties, which would be much easier for development, maintenance, and enhancing functionality.

Unfortunately, because there is such a large plugin community, making a drastic change to make it object-oriented would break all the plugins, so I don't think it will ever happen.

I am with James and Jorge, MUO will stick with WordPress mostly due to its flexibility and vast amount of support.

Plus, as the number of popular sites using WordPress grows so does the optimizations techniques/addons for speeding up server environment specifically for WordPress etc.