Why does MakeUseOf put huge ads into its RSS feed?

Robin April 16, 2010

Why would a blog consider adding a massive add at the front of it’s RSS feed such that a reader needs to scroll down to read the post? Say in the way MakeUseOf now does? I used to love reading that feed but it got so annoying I unsubscribed. Why not a more discrete ad that doesn’t take up all the reader’s real estate?

OK everyone, we moved the ad in the feed from the under title area to the bottom of the article.

2. Taty

It's paying the bills :) Don't like ads either, but understand why they are necessary.

3. Saikat Basu

As Jack put it, that's what pays for the writers :) But yes, we are still trying to find a balance between what's desirable and revenue maximization. Constructive comments like yours help us out a great deal because as a reader, your feedback is THE MOST important thing. So, allow us to improve...and do subscribe back!

One reason, if we don't have ads, MUO can't afford writers and you wouldn't be writing this now.

But I do agree with you, they are really annoying, especially the ads you are talking about. Not only they are distracting, most posts have the exact same one. I would prefer a rectangular banner over the current square ad, or have the ad inline with the rest of the text. Sometimes I think that the ad is the actual first picture of the post.

H Guys

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into alternatives.

Aibek