Why is MakeUseOf publishing so many articles about Android phones?

Joe Spellman March 24, 2012

I don’t have an Android Phone. Since I subscribe to your news feed I see all the articles you provide ABOUT Android Phones. I was just wondering why so many Android articles and not iPhone, which I assume is more popular and widely circulated than Android?

I think your site is useful, but when I see you pushing Android about once per day it becomes more like a waste of space. If things were evened out I probably wouldn’t feel that way. Can you tell me why Android dominates your articles please?

1. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

As I commented above, I think this site is more for people who want to tweak, android just fits better into that category. Even considering jailbreaking, Android is open source and Apple isn't going to open iOS up any time soon.

Apple isn't really truly dominating the market on anything (Maybe the iPod)... But they build a products everyone knows, so they are doing something right.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

2. Joe Spellman

Chris, all due respect but you can use numbers to make a case for anything. I just saw 6 articles that said the exact opposite about iphones vs. androids. I personally don't give a rats ass about either company but I am offended when someone talks to me in a condescending manner. So, save your preaching for somebody that gives a damn about it -- that wouldn't be me. Smart Ass!

Joe,

now I want to see the articles that claim the opposite because I'm pretty sure they are wrong. Of course there are articles that will make a different case, e.g. comparing Android with iOS or an iPhone with a Blackberry, which is probably more appropriate than comparing a device (iPhone) with an operating system (Android).

• Joe Spellman

Just Google iphone vs. android and let the fun begin. I'm not saying any of the articles are the whole truth - they are probably just using their numbers to further their positions. 

Like I said to Chris in my note above, Tina, - I just don't care. I've learned what I needed to learn with the first few responses. But when someone starts in on me with condescending comments - I'm done. Good luck with all your droids.

• Chris Hoffman

Um, I'm not sure how to respond, Joe. You said that "
          I was just wondering why so many Android articles and not iPhone, which I assume is more popular and widely circulated than Android?"

So I was saying that it isn't necessarily true, is all.

At the end of the day, we publish both iPhone and Android content. I responded because someone asked an Android writer to respond. I'm sorry if I offended you -- I wasn't trying to.

3. Chris Hoffman

Hi Joe,

You're actually wrong about iPhone being more popular than Android. As of January 2012, Android is at 48.6% market share in the US, while iPhone is at 29.5% (source: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2012/3/comScore_Reports_January_2012_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share )

Given the market share, it makes sense that we'd publish a lot of Android articles -- even more Android articles than iPhone articles. I mean, you may use an iPhone, but many more people use Android. Android users wouldn't be happy if we focused exclusively on the iPhone.

We actually still publish a lot of iPhone articles. At the moment, two of the articles on the front page are about the iPhone (and I don't see an Android article on the front page). Quite frankly, the iPhone is very well-represented here at MakeUseOf -- lots of writers here use one.

As for why we don't have more iPhone articles -- well, that's one for the iPhone writers to answer. And I think James Bruce already did.

4. ZoNi

Well, since Android is future of smartphones and tablets, I understand so many articles.

However, I would prefer MUCH more PC-related articles, and much less phone-related.

• Angela Alcorn

Noted!

Thanks for the feedback! 

• Reý Aetar

Mam It is also great if we get reviews on Maemo ,BlackBerry OS, Bada, windows , Symbianincluding app reviews supporting these oses as one cant deny these are equally powerfull as android ..But all over the web only FanBoy debates are found about them and no proper review..Thank You

5. Joe Spellman

I didn't know my question was going to show up on a forum. I'm glad I was half way civilized and didn't stoop to a total flamer. haha. Thanks for the responses - that sheds some light on why I see so many Android articles. I'm not a techie so I didn't even know Android was as versatile as it is.

I guess I won't throw the baby out with the bathwater then - and I'll continue to Make Use Of MakeUseOf! Thanks Guys!

6. Nikos Kakouros

MakeUseOf posts are described as containing "tips and hacks on how to improve your computing experience".  Articles on "how to hack you iPhone to improve your computing experience" would pretty  much come down to "buy the new one".
    That is why "there's more Android writers on staff" and more posts.... because there is something for them to write about. 
    As James Bruce pointed out, if you can think of similar articles that one could write about the iPhone they "would love to hear them" :-)

7. Fitzelgard Allan Gerard

Honestly there is not much you can do about Apple, as much as I own both platforms there is just so much you can do about Apples framework compared to Android.

1. When people say "New themes available for Android + iPhone" Android users would be thrilled to know what sort of theme as their framework allows it, compared to Apple where 90% of the consumers already know that Apple closed source framework only allows so much of editing before you call it "Themed" in the end there are a 101 errors that pop out just by theme-ing your iPhone. Android however allows that via the use of Launchers.

2. Development, With androids OpenSourced and regular release of new development and idea's it's easy to come about as unlike Apple's standard iPhone which not much can be done about their Development (Because everyone knows what happens to an expensive toy that get's bricked, no one's willing to cover the costs to get it fixed again)

3. Security, Both OS's are secured as it is, Android doesn't run .exe's and the same applies with iOS, Upon working with both OSX and Linux they have better security and no need for any Antivirus, Because putting a bulletproof jacket on a APV would be silly..

4. Discoveries, Android phones come out with new thing's everyday, like previously the new HTC Photon 4G Android Phone that came preloaded with some Beats Audio files, when developers discovered that this can be used on all android phones, It just changed everything in general about how user's can tweak their phone's audio for better performance. Apple? Well, it's one unified device with one unified firmware, that's as clear as it gets, nothing grand that can be discovered that isn't already in the OS itself. Unless ofcourse you managed to find a lost iPhone 5 shipment ;)

Just my 2 cents.

As an iPhone owner and writer here, I'd like the opportunity to respond. 

Joe, Android covers a wide variety of devices that need lots of tweaking to make work correctly. iPhones just work - there honestly isn't much to write about beyond app reviews, which I believe we do enough of. Can you imagine reading the following articles?

"How to avoid malware on the iPhone" 
    "Top iPhone memory managers"
    "Replace your providers custom firmware with stock Apple one"
    "Jailbreak your iPhone to install iOS 5"
    "News: Apple discovers 70% of malware within one week of being released on the app store"

Of course, if you have some requests for certain types of articles you'd like to see more of, then we would love to hear them!

• Angela Alcorn

It's the same reason there's more Windows articles than Mac articles. More tweaking, less "Just working". :)

Also, I think there's more Android writers on staff, but we have been trying to tone it down. That and there's plenty of apps out there that are for both nowadays.

• Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

Hell, Your got more right than most of the rest of us, of course thats the opinion of a young computer geek so...

This site, in my opinion, is more for the kind of people who want to tweak, and android fits more into that category.