Why are my MakeUseOf points not adding up?

Meidimi August 21, 2012

For the past few weeks my points have not been adding up even though I have been reading some articles and sharing the ones I like. Is there a reason for this? Should I be doing it a certain way?

Thanks!

1. Meidimi

Hi Tim & Muotechguy, thanks for the advice. i am logged in when i do but recently i started using buffer to share my articles as sometimes i want to share more than a few . could that be why im not being awarded any?

2. Timothy Liem

I just share some article and the plusone button froze (a '!' icon appear after I click on it) next one is the twitter counter didn't add the share I made. why is that?

3. muotechguy

Hi meidimi; we identified an issue with login today, but I dont think it's been an issue for weeks - a day or two, max. Apologies if you've been missing out on points during that time.

Your account shows 2500ish points currently, but none in the last 7 days. I can't add any more advice that Tim hasn't already written - please make sure you're logged in and using the indicated share buttons.

If you could try again now, and let me know if the problem is still occurring, that would be great. Please send a screenshot if possible of your profile area to james@ this site, and a screenshot of the buttons you are using to share. Thanks!

4. Tim Brookes

Meidimi,

MakeUseOf points are awarded for sharing articles and commenting while logged in using a profile of your choosing. I will assume you are logged in, and use the same social profile to login on repeat occasions - this is necessary for the system to track you. In order to claim points ensure you are sharing using the social buttons at the foot of the page, rather than retweeting or Liking our posts on Twitter. Of course we appreciate shares regardless of where they come from, but for you to get your points you will need to use the buttons provided on the posts and pages themselves.

Please let us know if you are already doing this. I have forwarded this question to our WordPress guy so we can see what he says too.

Tim

• James Hudson

Hi I'm having this problem, when I comment on an article I do not get the points.

• Tim Brookes

James,

We have since changed the rules whereby comments alone do not earn points on the main blog. This is because a good number of users were simply spamming articles with useless comments and even copy/pasting other people's replies and so we had to curb it. Points are now awarded for likes on each comment, but also users can earn points by sharing our articles and guides via Facebook, Twitter and so on. If any of your followers happen to click your links then you will in fact earn even more points.

In addition to this, Answers made on MakeUseOf Answers do still earn points, though we do moderate comments for those looking to take advantage of the system so sometimes your comment won't show up instantly.

Tim