Why does MakeUseOf lock up my browser?

Doug Quance August 24, 2010

As stated, any time I start your page or go to a new page it locks up Firefox for a couple of minutes, ANNOYING.

Also I have registered, but there is never a login option?

Doug,

I ran this issue past all MakeUseOf authors and we agree that it must be a conflict of possibly an ad (code) on MakeUseOf and a Firefox extension you use.

One of the authors experienced the same problem and could fix it by re-installing Firefox and not activating any extensions.

You may also try to create a new profile without any extensions or use a different browser to see whether the problem in your case really is related to an extension.

2. Susendeep Dutta

Firefox is unable to load or takes much more time to load the comments.I do clean my registry daily and do defragment once a week.

Does it crash when you run Firefox in Save Mode? There will be a shortcut in your Programs menu.

4. metahawk

I am using Windows Explorer 6 at work behind a firewall and MakeUseOf often crashes the browser completely. I have not had problems accessing it at home using Firefox. Strange.

The Internet Explorer 6 is no longer supported by many mainstream websites including MakeUseOf.com. I suggest not to use the IE 6. You can use Chrome or Firefox or upgrade to IE 8.

5. Jessica Cam W.

I don't get my browser locked up either from accessing MakeUseOf's homepage. Are you talking about how the newsletter alert pop ups which makes your screen sort of black for a few seconds?

A screenshot would help us more.

• Doug Quance

I have tried Tina's suggestions with no improvement.
      How do I upload screen shots, I have a few.

• Doug Quance

Jessica: Not the newsletter popups.
      Firefox locks up for 1 to 2 minutes in the midst of loading all the adverts or at least that is what it appears to me. In the screen shots it may be waiting or reading from another website. When I say it locks, I can do nothing on this or another tab.
      After the wait time it will continue as normal.

Doug, upload your screenshots to Flickr or anywhere else and post the image URL here. I can then upload it for you to our servers.

Doug,

I use Firefox and Chrome to access MakeUseOf and it has never locked up or frozen my browser. Hence, I assume that it's a problem with your browser.

Did you try accessing MakeUseOf with another browser and what happens?

Did you empty your browser cache and deleted your browser cookies?
    If not please do so!

In Firefox go to > Tools > Options > Advanced tab > Network tab and click the > Clear Now button to empty your Offline Storage / cache. Also increase the MB of space for the cache to at least 100 MB.
    To clear your cookies switch from the Advanced to the > Privacy tab and click the > Show Cookies... button. > Search your cookies for MakeUseOf, mark all cookies and click the > Remove Cookie button. Then close all windows and restart Firefox.

As for your second question, this is based on a misunderstanding. You did not sign up to log into MakeUseOf, you signed up for the newsletter. A similar question was asked previously, please review the answers here:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/sign-makeuseofcom/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/download-makeuseof/