Why doesn’t MakeUseOf give me points for sharing articles?

VictorGeis August 24, 2012

I know MakeUseOf gives 10 points for sharing articles, but I noticed that sometimes when I share more than one article I don’t get points for both. I know there is a cap on how many articles you can share in one day, but even if it’s a new day and I share 2 articles I like, I don’t get all 20 points even though the article appears to be shared on the social networking site I chose. What exactly is the cap and/or how does the point reward system work for sharing articles?

PS: I’ve tried the basics in trying to solve this; log off and on, share through different social media, restart my browser. I even tried sharing the article on a different browser (which sometimes worked, while other times it didn’t).

1. R. Murray Reid

I have also have shared articles with others with g+ without receiving any points and I wonder why?

2. Ramón García

The same thing happens to me. Since a week or so I don't receive points for sharing...

I just shared two articles the day before yesterday and didn't get any points either. Hmm. I'm logged in and everything.

4. VictorGeis

Thank you all for your input, unfortunately I don't think any of this advice helped me. For example, I haven't shared any articles within the past day (24 hours) but when I tried sharing an article just now and I didn't receive anything. I'm starting to wonder if it's not just sharing two articles, but when I share an article it's not always detected.

Has anyone had any similar problem? I think it would really help to have more guidelines about sharing articles. I'd like to know if I should be getting points for my shares. I'd still share even if I'm not suppose to get points, but I would like them if I'm suppose to receive them.

• Aswin Kumar K P

I too did not get any points for sharing the arcticles.I dont know why.I also not getting any points for commenting the arcticles.But I get them for answering questions.

5. Silviu Despa

It's because of the daily limit. Wait 1 day and try again, it has to work.

6. muotechguy

As Aditya says, there is a time gap between points being awarded to prevent abuse where someone will just share a bunch of things all at once. I won't tell you the exact gap, but assuming you are actually reading the articles there should be an issue.

That said, you havent gained any points in the last 7 days - when are you referring to?

Please ensure you're using the buttons listed on the bottom of the article, and not just a generic share link that you are posting yourself directly to the network or using some kind of browser bookmark.

Also, I'm afraid the buttons in the middle of giveaways right now are not tied to the system, we are working to fix that and get them replaced.

You do of course, also need to be logged in for the count to work.

• VictorGeis

I'm unsure what you mean by your 7 day comment, but I have received some points for answering questions and some for sharing articles during this past week. But the points from sharing articles is inconsistent; sometimes I receive them and other times I won't.

As for the buttons, I am definitely sharing the articles by clicking on the buttons at the bottom of the article.

Also, I am always logged in during these scenarios. That was the first thing I checked when I came across this problem. : )

• VictorGeis

I'm not sure what you mean by your second paragraph, but I have received points from both answering questions and sharing articles during this past week. However, it seems that I am not consistently rewarded points for sharing articles.

I am definitely clicking on the share buttons at the bottom of the article, and it is showing that I shared the link on Twitter, Google+, etc. I just never get any points.

Also, I am definitely logged in when I share; that was the first thing I checked. : )

7. Aditya Roy

There needs to be a time gap between two shares.
    One can't go a share spree to earn points.

Victor,

Are you sure points were not given? Sometimes it takes a while until points are added to your total. Also, limits apply per a certain time zone (I think it's GMT), which may not be the same as your time zone.

I hope Matt or James will add more details as to what limits apply and maybe that will shed some light.

• VictorGeis

The points are definitely not given and I have waited well over 24 hours in between sharing multiple times without receiving any points