Why does MakeUseOf use different email addresses to announce giveaways?

Michael Smith April 14, 2011

I received an email from you to enter a contest for a free iPhone. My mail app, Thunderbird, told me the mail might be a scam. Presumably because you used a different address from makeuseof.com. Creates confusion. When I went to your site I saw nothing about an iPhone giveaway. Thanks Mickey

1. Michaelmouse

You are right it is not a iphone but an ipad. Here is the web site I was directed to in the email.
    http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=OZRQE&m=1ZJzyv7cMuUKNK&b=1.53UVPYUcLkD0Ks8yuwNw

I suspect this is the problem that thunderbird picked up on because the link in the email doesn't match where you are actually sent. i.e. aweber.com not makeuseof.com
    As you are aware of, redirecting is a common ploy of the bad guys.
    Thanks Mickey

Michael,

this sounds like an entirely different problem. You are talking about a link within an email, not an email address.

The AWeber link will re-direct you to MakeUseOf.com and at the same time allows us to count how many people have opened the newsletter and clicked on the link. As Aibek says, this technique is commonly used to track newsletter performance.

And you are right, Thunderbird and other mail clients may pick up these links as spam indicators because they are being misused by the bad guys. But I hope you agree that MakeUseOf does this all with the best intentions, i.e. to improve our free services!

The link you shared above does re-direct to the iPad Giveaway. Why did you state in your question that you saw nothing about the Giveaway when you went to the site?

Michael,

can you please share which email address you received the announcement from? The portion behind the @ is sufficient.

Emails from MakeUseOf should be coming from a legit @makeuseof.com email address, e.g. news@makeuseof.com. If you received an email from another address (portion behind the @), then it probably is a scam!

As far as I know we are not currently giving away an iPhone, but an iPad. You can see all our Giveaways here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tags/giveaway/