Is MakeUseOf a deep web website?

poki September 11, 2011

I wonder if your website, www.makeuseof.com, is a “deep web” website and how can I know when I surf such a site?

1. Pimpalee

the reason i asked this question is that i was looking for somthing on the net with google
    until i found an answer a woman gave to somone and gave her links to your website,
    throw that links iv reached to your site for the first time ever.
     i often use the internt to look for things which normaly  is very hard to find, many times i dont find them at all, i was never linked from google to here.
    this websites contains toons of info which is very helpfull in so many ways and whice is so hard to find using google  search engine.
    so i tought maybe google have an intrest to "hide" you as much as they can cause you doing their job only much much better...

Thanks for letting us know. MakeUseOf has nearly 20,000 articles, probably more. Some of them rank very high when people search for relevant information. There are also many articles which arent listed in the first 1-5 at all. So it really depends on what you're looking for but overall we are ranking pretty well when compared to other cometing sites. So, an answers to your question is NO, we are not a "deep web" website. Nearly all of our webpages are indexed by Google and served in the search results. It's just not all of them get to appear in the first 1-3 pages.

Must admit, I had to google this as I've never heard of that term to describe a website before. From what I can tell - "deep web" refers the parts of the internet that are invisible to google.

The only parts of the web that Google can't index nowadays are educational or reference archives that are deliberately private (university papers etc), and I'd imagine any security related sites (like internal CIA stuff - though I doubt anything important is actually connected to the internet at all). To be honest though, the term "deep web" is a little out of date I think, since Google is now able to access an awful lot of it with advanced indexing techniques. I guess any anonymous Toor network based sites might be defined as deep too?

To answer your question - MakeUseOf is certainly not a "deep website", and there is no automated way for you to tell if a site is or not. Some SEO toolbars that would tell whether a page is indexed by google or not would accomplish the same thing. If you found the site through a google search, then by definition it isnt deep either. Nowadays I would simply say if the site is "indexed" or not, not "deep web".

I'm curious though - why do you ask? I mean, why would you want to know if it's a "Deep site" or not? It sounds like something out of a conspiracy movie!