Why is Makeuseof creating an “answers” site when there are so many Q&A sites out there already?

Paul February 3, 2010

I am sure it will do well, but just wondering about the logic behind it. While i am on the topic, is there a way to search for questions (other than using the tag cloud)?

1. Indronil Mondal

here people try to solve questions but else where others post their questions on top of yours you rarely get an answer and here expert admins answers your questions,,

2. Mayank

I Too Don't Know The Proper Reason Behind It But According To Me I Would Say-

MakeUseOf Created It Because MUO Is A Large Community Where You Get Many Things To Know, So Why Not Help Out Also.

So A Q/A Website Has Been Made So That Not Only The User Enjoys Readin MUO Articles But Also Get Help From The Site.

+ You Can Also Say That It Can Attract more Users To This Community. :D

MUO created a Q&A site because people need it. You ask a question didn't you?

4. Mark O'Neill

There may be lots of Q&A sites out there but who says they are any good? ;-) Maybe we want to create a better one? :-)

5. Skull

It's like a "community effort" to help each other out. Especially all the registered MUO users ........................ ALSO........ because they can :-)

6. ├Žnon1mus

All of the above :)

7. Dan

I think to create more focused interaction, to find specific content from qualified readers ( I believe all readers on MUO are geeky techies or atleast wannabes! :)). So through this lounge of answers we can help each other more while improving our own craft.

The above answers pretty much cover the reasons for creating our own Q&A page. Additionally, we can redirect questions to this site, rather than answering tech questions through eMail.

You can search MakeUseOf Answers just like any other part of the site. Use the search bar in the top right.

To search within Answers only, type [site:makeuseof.com/answers ""] without the brackets, but with the search query in the quotes, for example [site:makeuseof.com/answers "Ubuntu"].

Indeed, there are many Q&A sites out there. However, all those people are not readers and supporters of makeuseof. If makeuseof can target useful posts answering to its own group of supporters, it will make the posts more meaningful and interesting.

my 2 cents.

because makeuseof is a tech blog answers will be tech only with only tech people looking at them, as opposed to a site like yahoo answers.

They probably created this so that their is more interactivity in their site also it allows them to find what are the most asked questions and they can easily make a article about it.

I don't think you can search any other way hopefully they implement a search feature so that we can find questions easily.